[ncdnhc-discuss] Limit email sending....

Rob Courtney rob at cdt.org
Tue Nov 27 19:58:05 CET 2001

Well, I think it's unrealistic to expect the Ad Com to scrutinize
every poster's behavior, every day. I think the best we can do is set
a standard and trust the Ad Com to enforce that standard as well as
it can. I think the traffic cop analogy works well: it's not possible
to enforce a 65 MPH (or 100 KPH) speed limit on everyone, but police
enforce it enough to keep drivers' behavior on the roads reasonable.

If I get ticketed on the highway, I might complain that the policeman
singled me out out of the hundreds of people driving that day -- but
if I didn't want to pay the fine, I shouldn't have exceeded the speed
limit. As long as the standard is only enforced against people who
actually violate the rules, I don't have a real problem with
"selective" or "targeted" or "limited" enforcement, whatever you want
to call it.

P.S. And since there are five Ad Com members, you've effectively got
five traffic cops. So if one fails to perform responsibly, the others
can pick up the slack.