[ncdnhc-discuss] Limit email sending....

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Nov 27 17:20:22 CET 2001

At 06:54 AM 11/27/2001 -0300, Raul Echeberria wrote:
>At 03:09 p.m. 26/11/01 -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
>>Does anyone not find it a bit strange that we are worrying about the
>>number of  posts, yet ignoring content such as personal abusive?
>I don't understand. Are you proposing to control the content of the
>emails? or what you are proposing is some kind of other rules to avoid
>offensive mails.

Raul, I am suggesting that the problem of excessive postings is very minor
and the problem of abusive postings is very major.  The idea that the
problems of this group are due to excessive postings is simply silly.

Therefore, the proposal to impose a posting limit is a way of PRETENDING
that we are doing something meaningful, rather than actually DOING
something meaningful.

Milton's posting on this thread demonstrates the problem in two
ways.  First, he thoroughly misunderstood Alejandro's proposal and then he
reacted violently to that (mis)understanding.

Alejandro simply noted that posting control mechanisms usually have
multiple people in the process, both to ensure the decision is shared and
to cover absences of any one of the controllers.

Second, Milton essentially says that the reason for limiting the number of
posts is because it is an easy rule to enforce.  Not that it has anything
to do with a real problem, but simply that it is easy.

There is also some irony is the ending of Milton's post.  He complains
about the difficulty of getting anything done because everyone wants to
review and modify everything.  The irony is that that is exactly what he
requires of ICANN, but he will not tolerate even a reasonable amount of it
in the constituency.

Open processes are quite difficult.  Most of the people in this
constituency have not participated in such a process before.  They resent
the difficulties that come with constructive openness and they resist
following any of the techniques that satisfy such a requirement.  Hence
this group has no cohesive model of needs and goals, and this group
primarily relies on unaccountable, ad hoc decisions by fiat and decisions
in face-to-face meetings with a tiny portion of the constituency
present.  If we want to worry about the real problems of the constituency,
these are the things we should be addressing.

d/