[ncdnhc-discuss] FYI

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Mon Nov 26 03:29:56 CET 2001

At 10:53 AM 11/26/2001 +0900, Chun Eung Hwi wrote:
> > Really?  I'm sorry but you just invented that mechanism.  It has never
> been
> > documented or stated.
> >
> > And therein lies a very clear problem.  Different people have different
> > ideas about correct procedure.  The only way to make sure that policies
> are
> > clear and that they represent the desires of the constituency is to place
> > them before the constituency for review and approval.  This has never been
> > done for this policy.
>
>Could you explain what is so serious for member organizations to withdraw
>from NCDNHC organizations when they declare to do so? Is it a policy or a
>common sense?

Eung Hwi,

An email subscription can be lost for a number of technical reasons.  It
happens all the time, having nothing to do with the person's intention to
unsubscribe.

Further, the process of changing from one representative to another means
that the first representative will unsubscribe.  The rule that you are
stating is that this will cause the organization's membership to be lost.

While you might believe there are "obvious" ways to prevent accidental loss
of membership, at the moment those various ways are in people's
heads.  They are not stated, so no one else can evaluate if they will work
properly.

> > Thank you for acknowledging that we currently do not have a conflict of
> > interest policy.
>
>Yes, simply not clear! So, I am proposing to clarify the policy by
>revising Charter. Because it is enough clear to me but some others don't
>think so.

Excellent.  We agree on two things.  In addition to agreeing there is no
current policy, we agree that it would be good to create a policy.

Our agreeing on the first point does raise some question about the efforts
to remove voting priviledges for some members, based on claims of supposed
conflict of interest.  However we can defer that topic until later, I think.

> > And please note that such a policy would mean that Milton's own activities
> > as a UDRP judge would disqualify him from holding an NCDNHC position...
>
>That's true. I have never said that the docmented policy could be applied
>to general members.

Oh?  I am most gratified to hear that.  Others who have been making claims
about supposed existing conflict of interest problems have been making
these claims only to people who are NOT officers of the constituency.

So it appears that we have a third item about which we agree.  This is
wonderful!

>  ICANN's "conflict of interest" document would provide a
>good framework for our policy.

Oh dear.  This is dangerous.

I agree on this point, also!

d/