[ncdnhc-discuss] .biz lawsuit stalls

Jonathan Weinberg weinberg at mail.msen.com
Thu Nov 22 21:01:15 CET 2001

At 11:21 AM 11/22/2001 -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
>At 10:54 AM 10/26/2001 -0400, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
>>         Actually, neither characterization is correct.  The lawsuit hasn't
>>stalled, and it certainly hasn't ceased to be meaningful.
>
>Jonathan,
>I was wondering whether a few weeks' reflection might have altered your
>opinion?

         So far as I know, the status of the .biz lawsuit is as
follows:  [1] The litigation is proceeding; I don't know the precise
schedule.  [2] Neulevel is continuing to place all domain names for which
there were multiple applicants on registry reserve.  That is, Neulevel is
proceeding *exactly as if the preliminary injunction were still in
force*.  It sorta has to do this, as a practical matter, because it would
be in an awkward position if it were to award those names to particular
applicants, and later on the court issued a final order requiring it to
pull them back.  As a result, Neulevel isn't really in a position to award
the names until the case has settled or resolved.  If anyone on this list
has information about either [1] settlement talks, or [2] the schedule of
further legal proceedings, I'd be glad to hear it.

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
Professor of Law, Wayne State University
weinberg at msen.com