[ncdnhc-discuss] NCDNHC "sponsorship" of competing track

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Nov 14 01:26:34 CET 2001

At 03:37 PM 11/13/2001 -0800, Barbara Simons wrote:
>I was present at the NCDNHC meeting at which this issue was
>raised.  Milton responded by saying that he had not seen the flyer
>until Vany raised this issue.  He also said that his name should
>have been used, rather than the NCDNHC, and he apologized
>for the confusion.

It is worth asking how the confusion happened.  Note, for example, the
recent "confusion" about Milton's way of personally asking a question. to
Silicon-Valley Public Access Link, that looked like neither a question nor
a personal query.  Instead it was universally taken to be a formal decision
by the constituency.

In fact it is curious that this is now the second time Milton's personal
activities have been "confused" as a formal NCDNHC activity.

>Finally, he mentioned in passing that he had
>contributed $100 of his own money towards the event.

Given that the activity was entirely his own, why should the details of his
involvement concern us?

In particular, please note that the constituency consensus was extremely
strong about the need for security discussions.  (Curiosly, in spite of
Milton's many assertions that there was nothing ICANN needed to do in the
arena of security, he saw fit to attend the security track, today.)

>I agree with Dave that the NCDNHC might want to pursue this
>issue, in particular to thank Milton for the personal sacrifice he
>is making, financially, as well as in the giving of his time pro bono.

Are you suggesting we make a list of the many people who are donating
considerable amounts of their time (and money) to ICANN, so that we can
thank them?  Or is there some reason to single out Milton?

Again please note that you are suggesting thanking Milton for creating an
activity that was competitive with an ICANN activity.  Yet the constituency
felt the security discussion was extremely important?

d/