[ncdnhc-discuss] Revised security resolution

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Nov 7 02:02:04 CET 2001

At 12:01 AM 11/7/2001 +0900, Chun Eung Hwi wrote:
>Here, I forward Karl Auerbach's response to your comment.

Chun,

It is easy to send copies of comments back and forth.  The difficult task
is to evaluate those responses and form your own opinions.  This means that
you must do some work and try to understand the problem and understand the
claims made for and against proposed solutions.

If you prefer to evaluate technical matters only in terms of which speaker
you like, or pretend that every statement is equally valid, the result is
quite certain to be the wrong one.

Please note that Karl's note continues to avoid responding to the issues
raised in the technical draft I cited.  This is a technical issue.  Karl is
not willing to have his statements considered in the technical forum that
is appropriate for this issue.  Please consider why he behave in this
manner, given that he is extremely experienced with the IETF.

>One could take Crocker's argument and apply it to any evolving technolgy
>- whether it be touch-tone telephones evolving from rotary dial or it be
>HDTV evolving from NTSC/PAL/SECAM - as one creates technology that
>supersets the old, those who don't advance with the technology often find
>that they can not readily use the new features.  The same is true with
>those who adhere to the non-evolving ICANN/NTIA single-root concept.

Gosh.  Karl is right.  There was no central standardization and no
coordination for any of those transitions.  That is why you could never be
sure whether the new touchtone phone would work; or rather, sometimes it
would work and sometimes it would not.

By the way:  HDTV is not an evolution of the earlier standards.  That is
why it is incompatible.  By contrast, color was added to television in a
way that ensured compatibility.  Choice of the specification for color was
very, very carefully centralized.

If Karl is so sure that complete independence is the right answer, then he
should resign from ICANN and pursue creating an independent root.  But note
that he is not doing that.  Instead he is insisting that all of the
supposed independence he wants be attained by forcing ICANN to conform to
some other set of standards that Karl has in mind.  So:  independence
without independence.

He offers clever sound-bites that pretend to claim that the solution to a
central authority is to have NO authority.  However when pressed further,
he will acknowledge that what is required is another layer of coordination
on top of the "independent" multiple roots.  That additional layer is a
central authority.  Those independent roots cease to be independent.

Similarly, he claims that he has run an independent root for years.  When
pressed further, he explains that he has run an independent root SERVER,
not independent root administration.  And it is no surprise that his
"independent" root server starts with the contents of the ICANN root.  So,
in fact, even his own service is not independent.

At 03:28 AM 11/7/2001 +0900, Chun Eung Hwi wrote:
>If it is true, the redelegation of .us should abide by the documented
>procedure of ccTLD redelegation. Because it is the centralized
>administration of ICANN and it is technical. Can you ensure it as a
>Neustar's senior advisor, technical advisor but not management policy
>advisor? Now, at least, I hope you are right at this point.

Mi-an-ham-ni-da.  I have no idea why you think that my consulting on
technical matters for Neustar would permit me special knowledge about ICANN
procedures.  You used the word "ensure".  If you are suggesting that I have
any control over ICANN procedures I assure you I do not.

Yes, I understand that my comments are not polite, and I very much do
understand that they are especially not polite from an Asian
preference.  However YOU need to understand that this is not a polite
debate and neither Karl nor I are Asian.

Karl is promoting a false sense about matters that are purely
technical.  He has been promoting it for a very long time and he causes
honest people to be confused about what is possible.

>Are you thinking the only one right answer? For world peace, people are
>exploring many ways and trying to realize it. Nobody thinks nobody knows
>how to achieve it.

If someone has the answer, then why do we not have world peace?  The answer
to THAT question is that people have ideas and hopes.  They do not have
answers.  People experiment with their ideas.  So far, in the entire
history of humanity, all of those experiments have failed.  Perhaps one
day, someone will create an idea that WILL lead to world peace.  We are
very far from it, and we are not getting closer.

Similarly, Karl is espousing theories and wishes. Note however that he is
not willing to treat his theories as an experiment.  He not even willing to
treat them as a serious technical proposal.

That is because his theories are known to fail.  That is why he a) does not
develop a detailed technical specification for his proposal, and b) does
not pursue that proposal in the IETF.  Again, please remember that Karl is
very experienced with the IETF and he knows that the real test of
seriousness is to create a proposal.  With a proposal, people do not debate
theory.  They debate the specification.

So, yes.  As of today, there is only one right answer to the question of
DNS node administration:

         Each node must have a single registry.

         That registry must have a coherent and regulated relationship
         with each sub-node below it and with the super-node above it.

d/