[ncdnhc-discuss] Revised security resolution

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Nov 6 00:41:29 CET 2001

>--> The single DNS root leads to excessive administrative (not technical)
>centralization.

Administrative centralization for a registry is required by the technical
nature of the DNS administered.  Hence the requirement for centralized
registry administration is technical.

As to whether it is "excessive":  That is an emotional term and it is not
based on any metric.  Given that there currently exists no technically
credible way to do anything other than centralization, it can be strongly
argued that centralized registry administration is exactly the right
amount.  Not too little.  Not too much.

>ICANN should support the evolutionary development of the
>DNS (operation and administration) away from a centralized architecture
>(and not tightly bound by a centralized architecture)

Such a statement is useless.  Again, it is like saying that we are for
world peace.  Of course we are.  The problem is that no one knows how to
achieve it.

>I read this statement not in technological context but in administrative
>context. In this context, Karl Auerbach's arguments sound good.

Indeed, Karl's statements do sound highly appealing.  Unfortunately they
are entirely without technical credibility.

And, no, that is not just my own informed opinion.  Notice that he has
never pursued his arguments in the IETF.  And he probably never will,
because he knows that they are silly arguments, espousing a technical
approach that simply does not work.

>What's
>your response to his arguments? I basically understand what you are
>repeatedly emphasizing about single root server mechanism although I
>cannot understand why that point should be repeatedly stated.

I have repeatedly cited the detailed analysis about this.  Please read:

         <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-unique-assign-01.txt>

d/