[ncdnhc-discuss] Membership Status ofSiliconValleyPublicAccessLink

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Mon Nov 5 18:53:19 CET 2001

At 02:40 AM 11/6/2001 +0900, Chun Eung Hwi wrote:
>in our constituency, the contact point of one member organization is
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>closely associated with the organization itself.  (If the contact point
>unsubscribe announce list, we regard it as expressing withdrawl from this
>constituency.)

Thank you for reminding us of this policy.  This policy was issues with no
discussion among the constituency and it has a very fundamental technical
flaw.  Further, the policy is not documented.

>The contact point has the voting right and plays the role of communication
>with that organization.

You are stating things that is typically true for any representative of an
organization to ANY group.  There is nothing special about the NCC.

>Therefore, so far as our charter clearly excludes
>those organizations which use the Internet primarily for commercial
>activity, it is absolutely inappropriate for any person, who engaged in
>those activity and moreover in those activities that ICANN has some direct
>relations in its interests, to take the contact point of non-commerical
>constituency.

You are quite wrong.  As Kent has repeatedly pointed out, many
non-commercial organizations rely on volunteers.  Volunteers must make
their living from some sort of work, and that is typically
commercial.  Many organizations that are interested in the NCC will have
volunteers who work in the Internet area.

So, the policy that you suggest would eliminate participation by most
non-commercial organizations that are involved in the Internet.

d/