[ncdnhc-discuss] Membership eligibility for chapters

Barbara Simons barbara.simons at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 29 18:25:46 CET 2001

At the end of his note below Dave Crocker complains that
the proposal to limit the number of daily postings amounts to
an "illegal disenfranchisement".  Mr. Crocker has a strange
notion of disenfranchisement.  No one is saying that he may
not speak, only that he may not so dominate the conversation
that others are in effect disenfranchised by not being able to
deal with all the emails being generated.  Being driven off the
list because of a lack of time or resources to deal with
mega-posters such as Mr. Crocker is a form of disenfranchisement.

Mr. Crocker may find it hard to believe that some of us have other
concerns in our lives besides ICANN and are even on other email lists.
The lists that I really pay attention to are those on which people
are sensitive to the needs of others and refrain from making an
excessive number of postings.  If that type of self discipline existed
on this list, then we would not need to establish a daily posting limit.

Sadly, it does not.  Therefore, I strongly support the proposal to
limit the number of daily postings to two per person per day, with
a somewhat larger number allocated to members of the adcom.

A positive side effect could be that the quality of the postings is
increased as people find themselves having to give careful thought
to how they will use their allotted daily emails.

Regards,
Barbara