[ncdnhc-discuss] Noisy list getting to you?

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Nov 6 01:35:55 CET 2001

Feeling bad about the NCDNHC?

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind.
First, in most other constituencies, the real
decisions are made by two or
three people behind closed doors without
consulting the membership. And membership
criteria can be applied in a discriminatory
fashion to weed out people who dissent, as
we learned in a recent incident involving
B&C constituency.

That is obviously not the case here. The price
we pay is visible arguments on this list.

Second, we are not as divided as it appears.
It has been proven again and again that a small
group of four or five people who are vocal and
active on the list can create the impression
of a major upheaval, when in fact the vast
majority of members either don't care about
the issue or support the other side.

Most of the f2f votes on resolutions carry
by votes like 29 to 1, or 23 to 4. When we
vote online those f2f votes are ratified by a
two thirds majority or more.

Minority positions deserve to be listened to
and their advocates treated with respect.
But people who routinely lose votes should
perhaps recognize that their views are indeed
minority ones. It is better to concentrate on changing
people's minds rather than attacking those in
leadership positions and blaming them for
some kind of imagined manipulation.

So, take heart, and even some enjoyment in
our vigorous debate. And on an open list,
be sure you learn how to filter ;-)