Who is keeping scores? Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] About Marketing Practices in .ORG

Barbara Simons simons at acm.org
Mon Dec 31 23:42:10 CET 2001

Dear Vany,
I have a few responses to your comments below.
In the interest of reducing the size of this note, I have
included only those portions of your email about which I
am commenting.  Since this is my second email for the day,
I shall follow the limit that I have requested for the entire
constituency (with exceptions for the AdCom members)
and not respond further today.
I hope you have a Happy New Year.
Regards,
Barbara

Nilda Vany Martinez Grajales wrote:

> The mission of the AdCom is administrative only.  The AdCom
> organize the votations, organize the documents, collection of membership
> fees and donations, open discussions...But don't take as excuse
> that I belong to the AdCom to block me for express my point of views
> and to document them.

Surely you are not serious about having your views blocked!
You probably spoke as much at the meeting in Marina del Rey
as the rest of the constituency combined - frequently by arguing
with the attendees or appearing not to understand a point that
everyone else understood.  Furthermore, as a member of the
AdCom, you have additional platforms for expressing your opinions
that the rest of us lack.  Finally, if the AdCom is administrative only,
can you please explain how it is that you get to vote in certain situations
where the rest of us are unable to vote.

The fact is that the only leadership that this constituency has are
the elected members of the AdCom.  That's why we hold elections.
You are one of the leaders, and one of the responsibilities of a
democratically elected leader is to reflect the wishes of those being
represented when those views have been voted upon, as they were
in Marina del Rey (and may be again via email).  Of course if the ncdnhc
holds an opinion with which you have major disagreements, you always
have the option of resigning - rather than being put in a position of having
to cast a vote that would compromise your beliefs.

By the way, I would hope that *all* of the adcom members would
strive to reduce the acrimony and volume of email that seems to be
a characteristic of our group.  There is a good reason that professional
politicians are very polite (usually) to each other, to the point of using
positive adjectives such as "esteemed" when referring to one another.
They may hate each other, but they know that they still need to work
together.  My hope is that it's not too late for the members of the
AdCom committee to start behaving like the dignified leaders that we
would like you all to be.

[snip]

> So the vote will be a matter of conscience.

Does that mean that you intend to ignore the expressed wishes of
the constituency when you vote on this issue?