[ncdnhc-discuss] About Marketing Practices in .ORG [EXPIRED TRIAL LICENCE]

Dr. Daniel Carras akadhmia at deltard.org
Fri Dec 28 10:04:37 CET 2001

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 09:57:51PM -0500, Milton Mueller wrote:
> > This is the silliest argument I've seen
> > in this entire debate. ORG is unrestricted
> > now, and has been for all of the time Internet
> > has been open to the public. 99% of all ORG
> > registrants entered the domain without any
> > restriction. So ORG's "current character"
> > got that way in an unrestricted environment.
>
> The post divestment environment will be substantially different: the new
> registry operator for .org will be thrust into a fiercely competitive
> environment, whether it likes it or not.  Without some kind of
> sponsor/charter, there is nothing to keep .org from becoming a heavily
> marketed commercial TLD.

This is not true! It basically boils down to a simple definition of a .org, and that it is
an organization that is based on philosophy and not on profit! Any commerical company that
misleads the public into thinking that it is a .org when it is not, is guilty of fraud and
can be detail with in any legal system. So as long as the .org is properly marketed, so
that organization of philosophy are clearly associated with the TLD, there is no way that
it can, without violating criminal law (in which a compliant can be filed with local
authorities), that the .org TLD will become commerical.

> > It's the advocates of restriction that want
> > to change it.
>
> You seem ignorant of a critical bit of information: .org is about to
> undergo substantial change in management and environment.  It is highly
> unlikely that it will continue on the same path unless some effort is
> expended to keep it there.

An effort is being expanded, but will the high-minded council listen? As posted earlier,
the substantial changes in the .edu TLD violate the UN Charter and the basic philosophy of
the internet, which is to be open and free - without borders. Yet, changes in TLDs, that I
have seen so far, just regionalize control, giving governments more say on what
information is seen by the public, and the nike.com issue is a good example of governments
and large corporate organizations of using tactics of harassment. A more specific example
is my request for an .edu designation for my university. Inorder to get a review, I have
to wait for an unknown board to determine (in their own time) if an exception can be made.

"Dr. Carras,

I will pass your comments on to our policy board.

Sincerely,

Tammy Burkhart