[ncdnhc-discuss] About Marketing Practices in .ORG

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Thu Dec 27 07:02:27 CET 2001

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 11:39:45PM -0500, Milton Mueller wrote:
[...]
> Our original sponsored, unrestricted proposal
> would have the .org registry define a "charter"
> identifying their community. But it would not
> restrict entry at the point of registration.

Those are two independent issues: restrictions need not operate at
registration time.  They can be enforced solely through
post-registration DRP processes referred to in the registration
agreement.

> > To obligate to Registrars in engage
> > in specific marketing practices would generate
> > more costs to Registrars
> > which probably would have as consequence a higher
> > cost for a domain name within .ORG
>
> Yes, that's one reasons why we are moving toward
> favoring an "unsponsored, unrestricted" model.
> If you are a "sponsored" domain you are obligated
> to qualify registrars and control their practices
> to some degree.

With post-registration DRP enforcement of the charter this is really a
non-issue.  The only effect on registrars is that they use a different
registration agreement than they currently do for .org -- no more
complex to deal with than the procedures for .info and .biz.

> > Anyway, to discourage undesirable registrations the
> > best tool is the CHARTER.
>
> The charter is just words on paper. The question is
> whether and how you enforce registrations to conform
> to it.
>
> > Since .ORG Divesture means that .ORG will be a
> > Registry different to NSI, then, and based in the
> > Policy Statement on .ORG, Would all Registrars that
> > already paid fees to NSI, with the new .ORG Registry,
> > also Registrars has to pay again fees in order to be
> > able to follow providing their Registrars Services
> > for .ORG?
>
> Answer: depends on whether it is "sponsored" or
> "unsponsored." If it is "sponsored" then everything
> muistchange for registrars.

That simply isn't true.  The fact that a sponsoring organization *can*
impose requirements on registrars doesn't mean that a sponsoring
organization *must* impose requirements.

> If it is unsponsored,
> then their NSI fees could carry over.
>
> > What about new Registrars
> > that were acredited to ICANN after .ORG Divesture?
>
> The applicants will make proposals about what to do.
> It is too detailed for the policy stage. We did,
> however, ask that any costs not be excessive.
>
> > what is the idea:  To not use anymore such Registrars
> > services and transfers all domain names to
> > Registrars that agreed in engage activities...or
> > simply not use anymore such Registrar but letting
> > such Registrar maintain their actual domain names
> > inside .ORG?
>
> Your question assumes that we are using the "sponsored
> unrestricted" model. But we have to change that.
> We are forced to choose "unsponsored, unrestricted"
> or "sponsored, restricted."
>
> If we choose S,R, then registrars will have to change,

There is nothing in the S,R model that *requires* significant change on
the part of the registrars.

> although old registrations may be grandfathered.
> Ifwe choose U,U, it is not a problem, because
> anyone can be a registrar.

That could also be the case with a S,R model.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
kent at songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain