[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] ccSO

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Sun Dec 23 17:32:43 CET 2001

Dear Jeff,
the more there are gTLD the less gTLDs are important. TLDs are not per se
of any interest. What is of importance is the user consortium behind the
TLDs (the TLD registrants community). In not understanding this basic
network element - however detailed in the RFC 920 - and accepting the
importance of the individuals and their non-profit natural organizations,
the ICANN has not only not corrected nor blocked the Verisign greedy drift
(Verisign is only a secretary registering car plate equivalents) and built
a cards castle in the air but has also distablized the NICs, killing its
very own support through the IANA now a place of controversy.

The internet is OUR consensus to interconnect OUR machines in using the
TCP/IP protocol set and the IP and the international datanetwork naming
plans. The management of a consensus is named a governance. The actors of
the Internet Governance are the Intenet participants feeling competent
and/or concerned: they are nicknamed @large and they gather in various
dedicated interest groups such as ISOC, IETF, ICANN Constituencies. The
Internet being by nature a totally decentralized network system, any
rigidity centralizing a non absolutely necessary function is endangering
the stability, the security and the permanence of the consensus. Todate the
only function of that nature is the (forgotten) IPv6 management. Every oher
is transient.

If you don't accept that basic, you will be quickly circumvented as
obsolete and inadequate. This seems a very simple thing to understand. You
will note that this has nothing to do with any technical aspect: this has
only to do with the social nature of any distributed system. This is why I
say that Joe Sims is a XIXth century person and the ccTLDs are XXth century
people as they obey respectively to predominant star and meshed cultural
network conceptions. Reallity means "what has rules": in wanting to
establish its own rules the ICANN is only dreaming and wasting our time and
our money, delaying development. In a way they are "white collar
terrorists" "commmited" to their ICP-3 faith. Delaying the world's
development implies a very serious death toll one cannot count, but which
is really here. One can accept errors, ignorances ... but comes a time when
you cannot believe this is only mistakes and misunderstanding.

Do they really think that people are going to respect what the ".info"
country name committee is going to decide :-) .... Let get real!
Jefsey