[ncdnhc-discuss] ccSO

YJ Park yjpark at myepark.com
Sat Dec 22 05:31:39 CET 2001

> The cc's as a general class have a interesting position.  On the one hand,
> they were delegated through a process outside their respective
> governments control, and thus, when dealing with their respective
> governments, they use that fact to say "we're private, go away".  On the
> other hand, when it comes to dealing with ICANN, they can say "we are
> under jurisdiction of our local communities, and thus you can't tell us
> what to do".  That is, they avoid public regulation by saying that they
> are private, and avoid any kind of private control by saying that they
> are under the control of their respective "publics".

This inconsitency reminds me of what ICANN has been telling us.

International verses Domestic Body
When it deals with resepective ccTLDs, we're "International Organization"
you should count on and finally sign the contract for the stability(of
ICANN?).
When it comes to dealing with new gTLD registrises, we don't have any
decision-making power until DoC tells us. Please, wait our Presidental
election ends etc.

Private Entity verses Governmet Control
When it deals with respective gov'ts, we are "Private Int'l NGO", Go away"
and only possible arrangement for you is advisory status. When it comes
to dealing with ccTLDs, we cannot deal with you directly even though both
of us are "Private" entities, we need governments' involvement somehow.

Technical verses Non-Technical Coordination
When it deals with the hesitant people all over the world at its intial
stage,
we're a "Technical Coordination Body doing NO Policy". When it comes
to dealing with At-Large structure after three years, we have been asked
by the community to coordinate not only "Technical" but also
"Non-Technical" areas for the stability(of ICANN or Internet?)

YJ Park