[ncdnhc-discuss] IMPORTANT: Need guidance from you regarding .org

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Dec 14 01:00:57 CET 2001

At 06:40 PM 12/13/2001 -0500, hans.klein at pubpolicy.gatech.edu wrote:
>Instead, we could use simpler means.  The registry could define a sliding
>price scale for name registrations in .ORG.  Names registered in .ORG that
>are also registered in .COM would have to pay a significantly higher
>registration fee (10x?).  That higher fee would discourage duplicative
>registrations.

An interesting idea.  Unfortunately it would be essentially impossible to
enforce.

For example, imagine that I wanted to register brandenburg.org (if it were
available.)  Unless you put into place an enormously powerful and expensive
mechanism -- and probably not even then -- it would be trivial to
defeat.  How could you tell that this new registration belongs to the same
entity that already had brandenburg.com?

For example, if I have my wife register, the name of the registrant will be
entirely unrelated.

d/