[ncdnhc-discuss] NCSO Formation Efforts in conjunction with ccSO

YJ Park yjpark at myepark.com
Thu Aug 30 08:29:21 CEST 2001

Dear Aljandro,

> Another important element, sketched in your note, is to delineate the
> structure and functioning of the proposed NCSO. What constituencies would
> make it up initially, what would its methods be, etc.? What considerations
> exist as to its practical viability?

    Structure of NCSO(Five Constituencies: TBD)

    Civil Society Constituency
    Research/Education Constituency
    Consumer Constituency
    Small Business(?) Constituency
    Open for more appropriate Constituency

    Method to Set-up each Constituency: TBD

> Finally, but maybe most importantly, some thought must be ascribed to the
> fundamentals of this proposed decision. What other SO's would exist? On
> what principle would they be designed? (for example, the present design of
> the ICANN SO's was made very carefully, along the lines of the resources
> which ICANN's technical coordination applies to: domain names, addresses,
> and protocol parameters). The general structure you propose seems still in
> need of such consideration.

Currently, we have three SOs under technical coordination and
realized DNSO is not at all technical rather it is more "political"
especially in new gTLD selection process.

Therefore, we can set aside 'technical parts' from 'domain parts'
such as Commercial Supporting Organizations which may still
have its current remaining DNSO Business-oriented constituencies.

On the other hand, to have more balanced view, we need to put
Non-Commercial Supporting Organization in pararell with CSO.

ccSO has both commercial and non-commercial ccTLD registries.

    Technical Side: ASO, PSO
    Domain Side: CSO, ccSO, NCSO

> This links to the very basic question which Dave Crocker (Michael
> Froomkin, please do read this note even if Dave's name is in the text!)
> has again reminded us, and remains unsolved: what are this constituencies
> specific, non-commercial concerns re domain names? It would be quite
> interesting if each member here would state the three major concerns of
> his or her organization regarding domain names, and discuss them a bit.

That is very valuable point we all want to explore.

What is real "non-commercial"?

Is it the same meaning when we talk about "non-commercial" even within
this constituency. I many times found "non-commercial" might be different
from what each of us thinks of.

There are many small businesses who want to associate with Non-
commercial constituency. Are they non-commercial or commercial?

There are developing countries' organizations - it doesn't have to be
non-commercial specific - hurry to join NCDNHC since they found
no other constituencies within this current structure.

Therefore, if possible, it needs to be more articulated for the right
name for this forthcoming (NC)SO for the underrepresented people
in the ICANN process.

The rule on the Internet has been set up and people all around the
world just don't want to be told to do this and that without any chance
for them to give their inputs directly.

> As a point of order for the agenda in Montevideo, may I suggest that if
> this point (forming the NCSO) is taken up, it be only as a discussion
> point at this stage, with an open view as to what else is happening around
> us.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Sincerely,
YJ