[ncdnhc-discuss] NCSO Formation Efforts in conjunction with ccSO

Alejandro Pisanty - CUAED y FQ, UNAM apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Thu Aug 30 07:35:59 CEST 2001

Dear YJ,

the idea of the NCSO is indeed intriguing and well worth at least a
little more discussion, notwithstanding the fact that some NCDNHC members
have already dismissed it at least for the time being.

I do not support, personally, a one-sided withdrawal from the DNSO at this
stage, particularly without a careful design of the proposed new
organization. I.e., I also do not support the idea of unnecessarily
jumping into a vacuum.

Instead, I believe that a useful approach may be to intensify again the
work and analysis of the DNSO Review, as well as the At-Large review, and
extract conclusions from both and from an updated analysis of the NCC's
situation. We might find things to do and change within the DNSO and also
within the non-commercial constituency.

Another important element, sketched in your note, is to delineate the
structure and functioning of the proposed NCSO. What constituencies would
make it up initially, what would its methods be, etc.? What considerations
exist as to its practical viability?

Finally, but maybe most importantly, some thought must be ascribed to the
fundamentals of this proposed decision. What other SO's would exist? On
what principle would they be designed? (for example, the present design of
the ICANN SO's was made very carefully, along the lines of the resources
which ICANN's technical coordination applies to: domain names, addresses,
and protocol parameters). The general structure you propose seems still in
need of such consideration.

This links to the very basic question which Dave Crocker (Michael
Froomkin, please do read this note even if Dave's name is in the text!)
has again reminded us, and remains unsolved: what are this constituencies
specific, non-commercial concerns re domain names? It would be quite
interesting if each member here would state the three major concerns of
his or her organization regarding domain names, and discuss them a bit.

Any restructuring as massive as the one you are proposing must be based on
careful consideration of the results of the DNSO Review as well as the
ALSC, the views of other DNSO constituencies, and complex issues such as
one you mention (that ccTLDs are hard to categorize into commercial and
non-commercial; my! if we shirk that question here we go nowhere).

Thus, we would avoid making a grand but empty gesture which furthers
nothing substantive for the matters in the agenda for Montevideo.

As a point of order for the agenda in Montevideo, may I suggest that if
this point (forming the NCSO) is taken up, it be only as a discussion
point at this stage, with an open view as to what else is happening around
us.

Alejandro Pisanty

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
UNAM  -  Educacion Abierta y a Distancia
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-5) 622-8713, 622-8633 Fax 550-8405

http://www.cuaed.unam.mx
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isocmex.org.mx, www.isoc.org
=====>>> Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org
---->> Internet y Sociedad? www.istf.org