[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN committee recommends voting restrictions,fewer At-Large di rectors

Alejandro Pisanty - CUAED y FQ, UNAM apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Wed Aug 29 07:23:21 CEST 2001

Dear Barbara, and all,

a careful reading of the At-Large Study Committee's Draft Report would
help a lot.

To begin with, it is a Draft Report and comments are due.

Second, and at least as important, is the content and process that gave
rise to the Report. Many of us who followed it have seen how the ALSC went
from considering very broad forms of representation to much more bounded
ones.

So it may be worth our academic constituency's time and effort to read the
report and understand its reasoning before jumping (backward) to
conclusions. There is a lot more there than the particular rendering (and
I mean this as in whaling, not as in 3D graphics!) of Chris Chiu. Oh, but
one cannot be angry at the new that "Bildt, Dyson, Robles, Costello, etc.
heard, reasoned, concluded and proposed", right?

As for consensus in the constituency I beg to differ. This has been a
divisive issue here and approached with more preestablished views than
reasoning up to now.

As a final note, may I remark that I hope the constituency, which has been
reduced to a third by the magic wand of changing the list to a new server,
can discuss this issue *and* the .org which was supposed to be closest to
our hearts not so long ago. Which maybe defies explanation and maybe not.

Alejandro Pisanty

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
UNAM  -  Educacion Abierta y a Distancia
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-5) 622-8713, 622-8633 Fax 550-8405

http://www.cuaed.unam.mx
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isocmex.org.mx, www.isoc.org
=====>>> Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org
---->> Internet y Sociedad? www.istf.org