[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN committee recommends voting restrictions,fewer At-Large di rectors

Barbara Simons simons at acm.org
Wed Aug 29 01:17:21 CEST 2001

I agree.  I was really upset to hear of the recommendation.
Since 2/3 of the votes of the Board are required for by-law
changes, the ALSC's recommendations guarantee that the
public can be outvoted in every regard, even if the at-large
representatives were all to vote in a block - something that
has not happened so far.

If the ALSC members believe in democracy, then they
should have made it possible for democracy to work by
recommending that at least half of the Board seats be
allocated to the at-large.  If they don't believe in democracy,
which is how I interpret their recommendation, then they
should have come clean and recommended that all the
at-large seats be eliminated.  Instead, they are recommending
something that looks a bit like democracy but essentially
disenfranchises the user community.

Barbara Simons, ACM