[ncdnhc-discuss] business constituency on .ORG

Jonathan Weinberg weinberg at mail.msen.com
Thu Aug 23 16:49:11 CEST 2001

At 05:26 PM 8/23/2001 +0900, Adam Peake wrote:
>Text of the business constituency's draft
[snip]

>DRAFT ICANN DNSO Business Constituency position on dot org v3
>[snip]
>Dot org should be chartered and marketed as a space for organisations. The
>charter should include a definition of organisation that is wide to
>include commercial and non-commercial while giving a sense of members not
>shareholders.
>[snip]
>2. Charter enforcement. There should be enforcement of the charter not by
>a restrictive registration policy but by marketing backed-up by a domain
>name holders objection procedure. In brief a bona fide dot org registrant
>could object to the Registry that a registrant seems not to be an
>organisation as defined in the charter. The Registry would establish a
>simple UDRP-style means to deal with an objection. A finding in favour of
>the objection would cancel the offending registration.

         So let me understand this.  According to B&C, ORG should be
limited to "organizations," enforceable via a UDRP-like mechanism, but the
definition of "organization" should include both commercial entities (i.e.,
businesses) and noncommercial ones.  That is to say, the sole purpose of
the charter restriction and enforcement registration would be to undo any
new registrations by *individuals* in ORG.  Have I got that right?

Jon