[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: [ncdnhc-adcom] Non-Commercial Supporting Organization

YJ Park yjpark at myepark.com
Sat Aug 18 05:23:00 CEST 2001

Milton,

> I don't think we have the political support or financial clout to
> create our own SO.

Regarding financial clout, yes, we might have some problems.
However, the situation might be improved after securing three
or so Board seats who can convey the interests.

Regarding political support, you are underevaluating diverse
Non-commercial voices around the world.

> The ccTLDs could do it because they prepared for a long
> time and they have budget leverage over ICANN. They also
> have stronger relations with the governments of their
> countries.

In some sense, we have been in the same situation for long
like ccTLDs, too. There have been various efforts to make
new constituencies from this constituency such as civil society
and consumer groups and etc.

> I agree with your analysis of the problem, but I don't think
> a new SO is a solution. Not that it's a bad idea, but it's just
> not feasible at the moment.

There is nothing feasible in the world if there are people who
want to make it. Furthermore, as you said, this proposal is
good enough to move forward. We have to ready GO!

> A better alternative is to concentrate on the ORG registry.

Yes, it is crucial, too. However, there are some windows in
the short ICANN history. i.e. NCDNHC vs IDNHC

If you want to make it happen, I think this is a right timing to
go for NCSO together with ccSO.

YJ