[Ncuc-af] Meeting with Ombudsman on Racism against Africans in NCSG/ICANN

Remmy Nweke remmyn at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 20:24:14 CEST 2019

Thanks Dorothy for the background inquiry.

Initially, NCSG chair, Stephanie had lamented over voting module for
individual and organization and I innocently suggested that she take up
that in next tenure (since she is running unopposed) and probably make it a
priority but instead of taking the feedback, she said that if I wanted, I
should start the process as that will not be her priority.

But I explained that she can simply share it with her EC and take my
comment as feedback to Executive Committee (EC), but she insisted that if I
want I can commence the process. So, I did a draft of some issues I think
borders on NCSG-Finance Committee (FC) to elucidate my points and she
started picking holes on them instead of still taking that as feedback and
Ayden and James bought it over giving their own interpretation of the
Charter and I said its not what I meant especially on what it takes to
actually make amendment proposal.

Then, Ayden sounded me off on FC Operating Procedure (OP) which I
personally drafted alongside Thato Mfikwe who was my chair in NCSG-FC in
the last one year, which is undergoing review until he (Ayden) was
appointed into FC a few months ago and that they want to commence OP once
ICANN 65 is over. Of course, I found that dismissive and mischievous.

My response to that was that if someone who took part in the OP review
process could not recognize colleagues efforts where he was coming as a
second timer in FC; something they could not do in six years, then it means
there is a “highpowered racism in NCSG” invariably because some Africans
did the OP so it must be done afresh. So, Stephanie sent it to Ombudsman
claiming I called her racist and I asked her to read my note again without
any prejudice whatsoever. Then she claimed I said she is prejudiced.

I was not actually responding to her, but she decided to tag it differently
and ascribe those to herself and all the commissioned and uncommissioned
warriors leveraged it including Amr to attack me.

Although we are now in the court of Ombudsman, it is important to state
that in the heat only Thato (SA) and Arsene (DRC) intervened.

So, here we are with the Ombudsman requesting some other instances
concerning Africans with respect to racism or systematic racism, hence my
call for others who may have been victim of unassumed quietness or oblivion
to share their experiences with me, privately if they wish or on this
trend) as I see this as an opportunity to bring more transparency and
diversity to NCSG processes and maybe ICANN as far as Africa is concerned.

I hope my background is sufficient to pass the message.

Thanks again for your concern. At least it brought out the need for
publication of travel supports for Africa/Africans as proposed earlier by
you. I will also strengthen that in my meeting.

Best Regards

Remmy Nweke
____
REMMY NWEKE, mNGE,
Lead Consulting Strategist/Group Executive Editor,
DigitalSENSE Africa Media [*Multiple-award winning medium*]
(DigitalSENSE Business News
<http://www.digitalsenseafrica.com.ng/businessnews>; ITREALMS
<http://www.itrealms.com.ng>, NaijaAgroNet <http://www.naijaagronet.com.ng>)
Block F1, Shop 133 Moyosore Aboderin Plaza, Bolade Junction, Oshodi-Lagos
M: 234-8033592762, 8023122558, 8051000475, T: @ITRealms
<http://www.twitter.com/ITRealms>
Author: A Decade of ICT Reportage in Nigeria
<https://www.facebook.com/adecadeofictreportageinnigeria%E2%80%8E>

*2019 Nigeria DigitalSENSE Forum on IG4D & Nigeria IPv6 Roundtable
<http://www.digitalsenseafrica.com.ng>*
JOIN us!!

*Vice President, African Civil Society on the Information Society (ACSIS
<http://www.acsis-scasi.org/en/>)

*NPOC FC Rep @ICANN Non-Commercial Stakeholders Group (NCSG)*
<https://gnso.icann.org/en/about/stakeholders-constituencies/ncsg>
*Confidentiality Notice:* The information in this document and attachments
are confidential and may also be privileged information. It is intended
only for the use of the named recipient. Remmy Nweke does not accept legal
responsibility for the contents of this e-mail. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify me immediately, then delete this document and do
not disclose the contents of this document to any other person, nor make
any copies. Violators may face court persecution.