[Ncuc-af] Nigeria Govt Monitoring Socialmedia for anti government

Benjamin Akinmoyeje benakin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 14:40:15 CEST 2017

Glad to read your views on this issue, I must tell you that monitoring
social media for anti - government rhetorics when the government, in
particular, used the social media as a vital tool to their rise to power.

We have noticed gradual shift in their narratives from Social media bill by
the Nigerian Senate
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/senate-withdraws-frivolous-petitions-bill/

to the use of the defamation law on the Internet
http://www.thelawyerschronicle.com/defamation-and-the-internet/
 Some weeks ago, the Vice President declared war on hate speech, what is
hate speech? and Hate speech as terrorism.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/08/breaking-osinbajo-draws-line-hate-speech-says-will-treated-terrorism/

and finally, the military announcing their monitoring of social media  for
anti-government activities
http://dailypost.ng/2017/08/23/nigerian-army-monitoring-anti-government-anti-military-speeches-social-media%E2%80%8E-spokesman/

Read this also
http://thenet.ng/2017/03/audu-maikori-faces-7-year-jail-term-found-guilty-inciting-public-southern-kaduna-killings/

All of these is to push back on the opposition and dissenting voices which
are vital ingredients for democracy.

Just to give context to the way I view these events. My resolution is we
might be going for a massive surveillance regime that will suppress all
forms of oppositions or activism.
As Nigerians have become vocal on social media and more engaging in
governance, it is becoming tougher for government to contain the expression
of the dissatisfaction of the citizenry. Government succeeded in curtailing
bloggers, now they are coming after ordinary citizens on social media.

We need to brace up for the coming days!!!

These are my thoughts anyway.....hope they are not monitoring this email
trail...😉
Benjamin