[Membership-affairs] Seeking your feedback on a membership engagement survey

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu Jan 29 13:57:02 CET 2015

Hi

My mailer did not receive Walid’s 27/01/2015 message with the survey pointer, so this is the first I’m seeing it.  Thanks Walid for doing this, it’s really very helpful in moving us forward.  A couple quick preliminary thoughts before a conference call:

*I would suggest we not rush on sending this out to members, it’s not time sensitive really.  As noted previously I will schedule some discussion time on the MAT and inreach for the Constituency Day meeting (releasing a draft schedule held up by tardy staff replies on participation invitations, will just go ahead without them today).  I think it would be useful to vet this there with attendees and get feedback, as many of the more engaged members are really swamped with other stuff right now and might not reply online.  Also discussion could elicit useful tweaks via the back and forth.

*It is worth noting once again that the problem of sustainable engagement is not remotely unique to NCUC, it cuts across all of ICANN.  I mentioned that the SOACSGC chairs have a subgroup that’s supposed to be working on a simple matrix I set up, it might be worth looking at that in tandem (and providing input if able). https://community.icann.org/display/gsenorthamwkspc/Volunteer+Engagement+Project <https://community.icann.org/display/gsenorthamwkspc/Volunteer+Engagement+Project>

*"I was once rebuked or lectured by another member when I presented my thoughts.” — yikes!  We sound pretty awful…

Must go now, more later.

Best

Bill

PS: Going forward we don’t really need to copy the EC list on messages to the MAT as all EC members are here.

> On Jan 29, 2015, at 6:50 AM, Walid ALSAQAF <walid.al-saqaf at ORU.SE> wrote:
>
> Thank you Joao for your reply. You may have noticed that I used some of your earlier comments in formulating a couple of questions in the survey.
>
> How about the other MAT and EC members? What modifications to the survey do you suggest?
>
> I'll wait for feedback for another couple of days before sending it to NCUC members.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Walid Al-Saqaf
>
> On Jan 27, 2015 3:37 PM, "João Carlos Rebello Caribé" <caribe at entropia.blog.br <mailto:caribe at entropia.blog.br>> wrote:
>         This message is likely spam
>
>         Symbol: ONCE_RECEIVED_STRICT(4.00); static
>
>         Symbol: DBL(5.50); goo.gl.dbl.dnsbl
>
>         Symbol: ONCE_RECEIVED(1.00)
>
>         Symbol: RBL_SPAMHAUS_PBL(2.00)

> The survey are well structured and appear very interesting, move forward.
>
> Also I'll share my contributions here as you requested.
>

> Em 27/01/2015, às 11:58, Walid ALSAQAF escreveu:
>
> > Dear colleagues,
> >
> > I have been working in the last couple of weeks on a survey that I
> > feel could shed light on the reasons behind the lack of engagement of
> > some members (particularly newbies) and potential solutions.
> >
> > The questions were formulated based on my own intuition, on
> > discussions we had in various threads and also on more recent
> > contributions from Bill and Joao.
> >
> > Find the survey here: http://goo.gl/XlwyQL <http://goo.gl/XlwyQL>
> >
> > The survey is still a draft and I plan to release it for members to
> > fill in after taking your feedback into account.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Walid
> >
> > -----------------
> >
> > Walid Al-Saqaf, PhD
> >
> > Örebro University, Sweden
> >
> > Office: +46 19 303 339 <tel:%2B46%2019%20303%20339>
> > Mobile: +46 76 233 9737 <tel:%2B46%2076%20233%209737>
> > Room: F3125 - Forumhuset
> >
> > email: walid.al-saqaf at oru.se <mailto:walid.al-saqaf at oru.se>

> João Carlos R. Caribé
> Consultor