[Membership-affairs] {SPAM} Re: [NCUC-EC] point on the membership survey

Walid AL-SAQAF wsaqaf at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 18:40:24 CET 2015

Hi Bill,

I've done several changes as per your suggestions. Please check the form
one more time at http://goo.gl/XlwyQL. Below are my responses to your
specific suggestions in the given order. There may still be need for one
final round before circulating. So I'll be waiting for your reply.

> Two general points:
>
> *Personally, I would allow a more time for people to respond than ten
days.  A lot of folks are
>really busy right now, and more generally many members don’t seem to read
all mail
>frequently, which is part of why every year we allow multiple two week
blocs for the stages of
>the election and send multiple reminders to vote etc.  What’s the rush?

*Extended the date to the 30th of March.*

> *It seems unusual to me to describe some questions on a survey as
‘mandatory,’ doesn’t it
>sound a little like an exam for undergrads?   Why not say there’s some
we’d really like your
>feedback on and then others that are optional, Id’ think people would get
the distinction…

*Changed the text to: "... questions, on which some we’d really like your
feedback while answering the others is optional."*

>More generally, I’m not sure I understand the decision rule about which is
which. For ex, I’d
>think the replies to Q6-8 would be really important to know and affect how
I’d read their other
>answers, but these are labeled optional.

*I just wanted to minimize the number of required questions as much as
possible. But I now get your point, so I have updated the questions and
marked Q6-8 as suggested.*
> On the individual questions:
>
> Q4: I strongly suspect the number of members who are paid to do NCUC work
is zero, but I
>guess we could include this for humor.
>What does ‘Sonstiges’ mean?  And the bits of German at the end...
*I assumed that there just might be someone working as a paid staff
employee for a not-for-profit NCUC member organization and is responsible
for interacting with the NCUC given his position. If no one ticks that
option, then that can be a confirmation that no such person exists. *
*As for your other point, I actually don't see ‘Sonstiges’ or any german.
Attached is what I see. Do you see something different?*

[image: Inline image 2]

> Q13: Shouldn’t it be "What DID you hope to achieve by joining NCUC/NCSG?”
rather than “do”?

*You're right. Now it's fixed.*

> Q15: Regarding the second option: posing use of the NCSG wiki as an
alternative to the NCUC
>mail list seems confusing because the survey is for NCUC members, not NCSG
members, and they
>wouldn’t get any NCUC info from the NCSG wiki.  If you want to frame it as
a choice between platforms
 >for updates, wouldn’t it make sense to say ncuc.org instead?  Second, "to
get for updates” needs a copy edit.

*You're right. Now it's fixed.*

> Q16: The list mixes current groups with older ones like JAS but not MAPO,
not sure why.

*This is actually a great observation. For someone who is not a veteran
-like myself- I would certainly not know about which WGs or committees are
continuing and which are no longer active. I just relied on the official
ICANN GNSO Confluence web page
<http://t.signalecinque.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJN7t5XX4Rs3g6VRJgRz5wvCLRW2zq5cM56dB2Rf3GmCG602?t=https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.icann.org%2Fcategory%2Fgnso&si=4815485689397248&pi=c480a93d-7f2d-44d1-faec-ad532df805ca>
and simply copied and pasted all the working groups and committees that
were listed there under the two headlines:*

*- Joint SO/AC Working Groups*
*- GNSO Working Groups/Drafting Teams/Steering Committees/Work Teams*

>In any event, could you please include the Cross Community Working Group
on Internet Governance as an option, a
>number of us are in there.  Ditto the CCWG on Accountability.  I'd list
the informal CC group on human rights
>as well, a number of us have been putting in time there.  More generally,
it might be sensible to separately
>group the GNSO groups and the CCWGs.

*I have split the question into to, one for GNSO groups and the other for
CCWGs, whose list I also got  from the Confluence page
<http://t.signalecinque.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJN7t5XX4Rs3g6VRJgRz5wvCLRW2zq5cM56dB2Rf3GmCG602?t=https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.icann.org%2Fcategory%2Fcrosscommunitywg&si=4815485689397248&pi=c480a93d-7f2d-44d1-faec-ad532df805ca>.
I am still not fully aware of which WGs are active and which are not. Let
me know if I need to remove any.*

> Q19: Neither the bylaws nor event planning teams nor the lists created
for them are operational.  Similarly,
>there is no NCUC privacy group, and to be honest I didn’t know a mail list
had been created.  I’d suggested
>such a group last year when about twenty people said they were interested
in working on privacy, but then
>others objected that any privacy work had to be done at the SG level
(where no privacy group was formed,
>but whatever).  Listing these will artificially increase the number of
“not engaged” responses and present a
>distorted picture.  I would remove these options, and if we (re)create
groups to perform these functions in the
>future and fire up the lists we can put fresh information on the website.

*Fixed! Again, I just grabbed the information from the official NCUC
mailing list page
<http://t.signalecinque.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJN7t5XX4Rs3g6VRJgRz5wvCLRW2zq5cM56dB2Rf3GmCG602?t=http%3A%2F%2Flists.ncuc.org%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo&si=4815485689397248&pi=c480a93d-7f2d-44d1-faec-ad532df805ca>.
It looks like the website needs a quick update.*

> Q20: "My English is not my mother tongue and think that others may not
understand me” might read better
>as "English is not my mother tongue and I think that others may not
understand me.”

*Fixed!*

can’t do this at http://www.ncuc.org/
>about/members/ directly but we could have another space to create more of
a sense of community/identity etc?

*Added as the second option: "Establish a space online where members can
have their photos, URLs, bios, etc."*

>BTW two copy edits: It’d be better to say “contribute to” instead of
“contribute for” better engagement.

*Fixed!*

>And "A word of welcome and encouragement from veterans could come a long
way” probably would be better
>as “would go a long way.”  FWIW people do get welcome messages when they
join.

*Changed to "More encouragement from veterans to newbies could go a long
way"*

*----*
Looking forward to your reply

Sincerely,