[Membership-affairs] Welcome to the Noncommercial Users Constituency of ICANN

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Mon Jul 8 09:45:21 CEST 2013

On Jul 06 11:22, Rafik Dammak (rafik.dammak at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> good welcome mail to the new members, it summarises our objectives, how to
> be involved etc. it can be useful to have as content in our website with an
> "about us page".

Sounds good. In new.ncuc.org we have top-level menu entry "About",
it would fit there but it'd need a different (sub)title than
"about us" - suggestions?

> to involve members effectively , we need to know their area of interests
> and background and engage them when needed as experts for example someone
> interested by development issues may be interested in the revival of JAS WG
> while an academic can be hooked with a topic of governance
> and accountability , a kind of information we can add to the database,
> maybe a topic for discussion between e-team and membership affairs  and we
> move step by step (and prioritise) an action plan will be helpful .

Sounds good.

> we had also some discussion about civicrm and dave offered to help. I am
> not advising an inflation of tools but thinking about integrated set of
> tools that we can use frequently :

> wordpress(website for organisational memory,

Check.

> project management?,

Yes. We had discussion about this early on, but didn't reach
a decision on the tool to use.

> ncuc calendar,

Many nice calendar plugins for Wordpress.
The hard part is getting people to populate it with events.

> decisions, statements)

Collecting all past stuff from wherever is no small task,
but we could start putting new ones up consistently from
now on.

> + civicrm (+database for members management, engagement,
> following-up)

We have a member database now but it's a quick hack
with minimal functionality.
CiviCRM sounds nice but the only one among us with
any real experience in it is Dave.

> + etherpad(for statement drafting, collaborative work etc)

We already have etherpad, even if it's a bit hidden
and lacks authentication, cf. http://pad.ncuc.org/.

> while I am cautious about using social network features , to be effective
> it needs some critical mass, I think wordpress has such feature or plugin
> and that needs investigation how to handle the migration from the ning to
> there

Yes. Given how little stuff there is in Ning I don't see the migration
all that hard, but selecting and configuring a suitable plugin is needed.
Brenden said he had ideas about that, but I don't expect to be ready
with that before Durban (less than a week to go).

--
Tapani Tarvainen