[NCUC E-team] Elections

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 10:26:06 CET 2014

Hi

Thanks for this background Tapani.

snipping

> Returning to Bill's question above, the key issue is what
> should be done about the unverified ones. If memory serves,
> the plan was to send new verification request before this
> year's election and update the database accordingly.

My message last week announcing the elections and today announcing the opening of nominations asked people to send email verifications to Maryam, as we did last year via you.  I also asked them to check that they are listed on the website.  So hopefully some of the folks who were unverified last time will respond.

> I guess that could still be done, it won't take long apart
> from the time needed to make corrections people send in.
> Alternatively, we can make a public version of the ballot
> list (like, add marker to the members list in the web
> indicating inactive state) and send a request to the
> discussion list asking people to check it (a bit late for
> that though)

In principle, this would be very helpful and time saving.  In practice, on privacy grounds, some people would not like the idea of making available a listing containing everyone’s email addresses, so we couldn’t include those for people to check.  But if we could simply flag the folks who are listed as having an “unconfirmed address" as of last time that’d be great (I prefer not to call them “inactive" since unlike NCSG's Charter, NCUC’s Bylaws say nothing about this happening to people who don’t reply to an email, and some people may wish to simply be list lurker members who follow discussions but don’t participate beyond otherwise).  Hopefully this would incent them to reply and fix it.

> or simply send the ballot to unverified members
> as well (several of them will bounce but that's no big deal).

At the end of the day, I believe we should do this as well.  Confirm as many as we can, send to all, declare nobody ineligible to participate if they feel moved to.  Again, NCUC elections are first-past-the-post/simple majority with no specified quorum, so we lose nothing by doing this other than some optical prettiness if the turn-out is less than one would like.

So how would we proceed with the ballot list you suggest?

Best

Bill