[NCUC E-team] Debuting New Website in Durban

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Thu Jun 6 13:59:50 CEST 2013

On Jun 06 12:52, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:

> Great to hear this has been moving along and you folks are confident
> we can have something to debut in Durban. That would be very nice
> indeed.

It should be doable, even though some rough edges will inevitably remain.

> Let me return then to a prior thread and see if we can start to
> evolve a game plan to make it happen over the next month.

Good.

> On May 28, 2013, at 3:11 PM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at TAPANI.TARVAINEN.INFO> wrote:
>
> >> There is a lot to do though—we need to agree on everything
> >> from the categories for drop down menus

> 1. So are people happy with the drop down categories as is on
> new.ncuc.org or do you see arguments for any additions/tweaks?
> Should we add a blog?

We obviously need a blog, but where it should appear in
the menu structure is not obvious.

Now the "latest news" is kind of blog, but not all blog
entries are really news, so it doesn't really cover it all.

> 2. Under those categories, we'll need integrative context setting
> texts for the section pages, i.e. governance, participate, policy,
> events. I'd be happy to work on these but would rather do so in
> collaboration than solo.

These are not technical issues but content, so we could
try to draft people from outside the e-team to help.

> 3. In parallel, for the sub-section pages we'll need a few
> paragraphs each, e.g. http://new.ncuc.org/about/role/describing NCUC
> in relation to NCSG and GNSO etc, http://new.ncuc.org/about/history/
> (probably better coming from some veterans), etc.

Yes. Perhaps we should proceed to create accounts for said veterans
and then ask (cajole, threaten, whatever) them to start writing.

> And then to populate these pages with relevant links and imported
> materials. So for example,
> http://new.ncuc.org/events/forthcoming-events/ would have links for
> the Durban events (outreach stuff on the 12th, Constituency Day, the
> workshop if ICANN approves it),
> http://new.ncuc.org/events/conferences-and-workshops/ (should be
> past-conferences-and-workshops, no?)

Right. URL fixed (refresh your browser).

> would have links to the things we did in Beijing, Toronto, SF, etc.,
> and so on across the board.

Links are easy to add once we have content to link to.
For some suitable pages already exist elsewhere,
but some need yet to be written.

> >> get the policy statements and stuff together, etc.

Is there some easy way to find all past policy statements?

> 4. This will necessarily be a particularly evolutionary effort.

Yes.

> In the near term, we should import to http://new.ncuc.org/policy/
> whatever we've got on the old site.

I understood Wilson is working on that.

> Then hopefully by BA, we can have a more systematized and searchable
> compilation of past policy statements and such via the data base Roy
> Balleste and co. will develop.

I haven't heard anything back from Roy, so no idea what he's done so far.

> We'd need to get some of the veterans to dig stuff out of
> their hard drives that isn't on ncuc.org, and probably to do a
> little digging for relevant links and docs from ICANN's public
> comments, the GNSO site, NCSG Confluence, etc.

Yes.

> 5. If things come together and we start using Confluence more
> (especially if we re-birth the dormant Policy Committee), we'd need
> to think about the interplay with
> https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=38046396
> (maybe we can ask Ken S. to make it a bit more intuitive like
> NCUC-Wiki+Home ?), and the NCSG space
> https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/NCSG-Wiki+Home.

Yes. No trivial answers to that.

> 6. Keep and migrate the members pages, per below. Would this include
> the ability they had in the ning to join groups themselves?
> http://new.ncuc.org/participate/working-teams/

Possibly. We still need to evaluate our options for member pages.

Although at the moment the working teams are just mailing lists
which people can join (subject to list manager approval for now).

> Maybe it would make sense to organize a Skype or Google + meeting to
> go over these and other points and agree stuff?

Why not. If so, rather sooner than later. I could make it most
evenings and some daytime hours (East European time) up to Monday
(and maybe Tuesday morning), then I'll be offline for a week.

> We have five weeks, what would be a realistic time management plan
> for tackling these items?

First, let's fix the menu structure - not to absolutely final form
but so it's "good enough", although it can of course be fine-tuned later.

Then let's add editor accounts to people who can write real content
to the pages within (including you and whoever you can persuade
to help).

That shouldn't take long - as in, hours, if we can agree on
the menu structure quickly.

Then make a list of pages that need content, perhaps in rough
order of importance, but it somewhere (etherpad?) and start
doling out tasks and marking what's been done.

This shouldn't take too long either.

Wilson's taken the lead on migrating stuff from Ning,
planning to do most of it over the weekend by the sound of it.

After that it's just filling in the blanks. If everyone tries
to do one (sub)page every two days, it should be ready in
another week. :-)