[NCUC E-team] Debuting New Website in Durban

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu Jun 6 12:52:37 CEST 2013

Hi

On Jun 6, 2013, at 10:55 AM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info> wrote:

>> We'll have the new website as early as next week.
>
> That's the plan. In the end it's just how polished we want it to be
> before declaring it good enough to publish, but I think it's close
> enough already now that another month should be plenty (although I'll
> be offline a week of that), assuming Wilson (who's working on
> migrating remaining data from the old site) doesn't fall under malaria
> or something.

Great to hear this has been moving along and you folks are confident we can have something to debut in Durban.  That would be very nice indeed.

Let me return then to a prior thread and see if we can start to evolve a game plan to make it happen over the next month.

On May 28, 2013, at 3:11 PM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at TAPANI.TARVAINEN.INFO> wrote:

>>> Yes there will.
>
>> Great. There is a lot to do though—we need to agree on everything
>> from the categories for drop down menus

1. So are people happy with the drop down categories as is on new.ncuc.org or do you see arguments for any additions/tweaks?  Should we add a blog?

>> to the content that greets
>> people on the top page and main section pages,

2.  Under those categories, we'll need integrative context setting texts for the section pages, i.e. governance, participate, policy, events.  I'd be happy to work on these but would rather do so in collaboration than solo.

3.  In parallel, for the sub-section pages we'll need a few paragraphs each, e.g. http://new.ncuc.org/about/role/describing NCUC in relation to NCSG and GNSO etc,  http://new.ncuc.org/about/history/ (probably better coming from some veterans), etc.

And then to populate these pages with relevant links and imported materials. So for example, http://new.ncuc.org/events/forthcoming-events/ would have links for the Durban events (outreach stuff on the 12th, Constituency Day, the workshop if ICANN approves it), http://new.ncuc.org/events/conferences-and-workshops/ (should be past-conferences-and-workshops, no?) would have links to the things we did in Beijing, Toronto, SF, etc., and so on across the board.

4.  This will necessarily be a particularly evolutionary effort.  In the near term, we should import to http://new.ncuc.org/policy/ whatever we've got on the old site.  Then hopefully by BA, we can have a more systematized and searchable compilation of past policy statements and such via the data base Roy Balleste and co. will develop.  We'd need to get some of the veterans to dig stuff out of their hard drives that isn't on ncuc.org, and probably to do a little digging for relevant links and docs from ICANN's public comments, the GNSO site, NCSG Confluence, etc.

5.  If things come together and we start using Confluence more (especially if we re-birth the dormant Policy Committee), we'd need to think about the interplay with https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=38046396  (maybe we can ask Ken S. to make it a bit more intuitive like NCUC-Wiki+Home ?), and the NCSG space https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/NCSG-Wiki+Home.

6.  Keep and migrate the members pages, per below.  Would this include the ability they had in the ning to join groups themselves? http://new.ncuc.org/participate/working-teams/

> Yeah. Let's beware of getting too ambitious, though:
> I said I expect to get it "good enough to publish", not perfect.
> But at least visibly better than the current one.
>
>> Could the folks leading perhaps draw up and share a plan with the
>> elements and suggested time frames so we can all start to allocate
>> some bits of bandwidth to moving this forward? With everything else
>> on our plates individually and collectively, it'll work better if we
>> have a plan that can be filled in asynchronously in increments
>> rather than expecting some big bang of collective energy just prior
>> to the meeting, no?
>
> Yes.

The above is just a first off the cough cut.  Maybe it would make sense to organize a Skype or Google + meeting to go over these and other points and agree stuff?  We have five weeks, what would be a realistic time management plan for tackling these items?

Bill