[NCUC E-team] Announcement lists

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Wed Jan 23 09:55:12 CET 2013

On Jan 23 09:10, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:

> We've discussed and disagreed previously, my 2 cents remains that
> the number of announcements would remain low so why create more
> lists.

Exactly because of their low number.

> Some of us are not bothered by having many subs, but enough
> others seem to feel to the contrary it's not worth it for the
> trickle that would ensue. I also don't see a need for send only.
> Frankly, anything we might send on an announce list we'll probably
> end up sending to the members listanyway so people can comment etc.

Of course. They could even be automatically copied there.
And comments should be redirected there anyway (Reply-To:).

The idea is that some members inevitably find the volume
of more or less any discussion list so overwhelming they are likely
to unsubscribe or ignore them, but would be happy to remain
on and read a very low volume announcement list.
That way they wouldn't miss elections &c.

> If I'm a minority of 1 and y'all really think this is needed, could
> you please 1) give me some examples of who would be sending what
> kinds of messages that couldn't just as easily or better go to a
> members list, so I know what to expect;

Election calls, major meeting announcements and other such stuff
that every member really, *really* should be aware of, sent by
EC chair or a secretary or someone EC nominates for the task.
Perhaps also monthly summaries of EC activity, if someone would take
the time to write such, or occasionally (very rarely) notices that
something important is being discussed on the general list to entice
them to take a look there.

Volume should be to the tune of one message per month,
certainly not more than one per week.
(I've got some such lists that get only 3-4 messages per year
and work quite well.)

> and 2) make such a list voluntary opt in so we don't freak out less
> interested or willing members.

On the contrary, I would try to make the announcement list as
mandatory as possible. The volume should be low enough to bother
nobody, and those on the general members list wouldn't even need to
pay any attention to it (replies would be automatically directed to
the discussion list).

Of course there is no way to make any list absolutely mandatory,
as last resort people can filter them to trash anyway, but
if the list is low volume enough and the messages important
enough, it would be much more likely to be read by at least
almost all members.