[NCUC E-team] VPS

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Tue Jan 22 21:39:34 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 11:32:32PM +0300, Wilson Abigaba (wilson at isoc.ug) wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 22, 2013, Avri Doria wrote:

> > If we are going the proper design and implement route, I suggest we look
> > at Django framework as the basic tool.

> I wouldn't go for django for our web platform. Yes, the framework is solid
> but it's not widely adopted by web developers and hence they are a few
> contributors and ready modules.

As it happens, I just today spent a couple of hours helping a couple
of django developers recover a disastrously corrupted application,
and they kept talking about how incredibly complicated it is.
And the application was rather simple from what I could tell.

> I wouldn't want to spend a few hours creating a social media plugin
> or RSS feed yet in wordpress/drupal they are plug and play.

Yes. If we were doing "something completely different",
django might make sense, but most of what we want is
indeed readily available in other platforms.