[NCUC E-team] VPS

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Tue Jan 22 14:45:17 CET 2013

On 22 Jan 2013, at 08:20, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:

> I believe we've more or less agreed that we need
> a virtual private server of our own (even if we
> may want to host some selected services elsewhere).
> It would be very useful also for throwing up
> mockups and test versions of all kinds of stuff.

Stepwise refinement works for me.
Lets not spend forever getting it right and pretty.
Never works anyway.

I would love to have first policy pages up by or shortly after LA.

> So, how about getting one without further delay?
>
> All we need to decide is
>
> (1) Where to host it; I believe Brenden already
> suggested Gandi, where our DNS registration is,
> and I agree: it may not be quite the rock-bottom
> cheapest but close enough, and they know their stuff.
> Minimal VPS there costs €12/month or €100/year,
> and I think it would enough for a while.

I agree.  And France is an ok location for a server.  I might have preferred Iceland or something Scandinavian (not Sweden) but am fine with France.  and the face that it is collocated with the DNS is good, I think.

> (2) Who will install and administer the machine.
> I can take this on, and we have plenty of competent
> people to act as backup sysadmins.

Great.
I think having a few backup sysadmin who vary geographically is good and am willing to volunteer as a backup.

> (3) How to pay for it. To do it fast we need someone
> with a credit card who's willing to handle it and
> trust NCUC will pay it back, and preferably someone
> outside Europe (to avoid paying French taxes).
> (Brenden has handled the DNS registration, I've no
> idea if or how NCUC has paid for it.)

if NCUC does not have a bank card,
Gandi takes paypal - I assume the NCUC bank account is, or can be linked to paypal.

if it is not easy to get NCUC treasury to pay quickly, I can cover.