[NCUC E-team] VPS

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Tue Jan 22 14:20:15 CET 2013

I believe we've more or less agreed that we need
a virtual private server of our own (even if we
may want to host some selected services elsewhere).
It would be very useful also for throwing up
mockups and test versions of all kinds of stuff.

So, how about getting one without further delay?

All we need to decide is

(1) Where to host it; I believe Brenden already
suggested Gandi, where our DNS registration is,
and I agree: it may not be quite the rock-bottom
cheapest but close enough, and they know their stuff.
Minimal VPS there costs €12/month or €100/year,
and I think it would enough for a while.

(2) Who will install and administer the machine.
I can take this on, and we have plenty of competent
people to act as backup sysadmins.

(3) How to pay for it. To do it fast we need someone
with a credit card who's willing to handle it and
trust NCUC will pay it back, and preferably someone
outside Europe (to avoid paying French taxes).
(Brenden has handled the DNS registration, I've no
idea if or how NCUC has paid for it.)

And someone has to make a decision
on NCUC's behalf to spend the money.
Bill, over to you.