[NCUC E-team] Mailing lists

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Mon Jan 21 09:45:14 CET 2013

On Jan 21 11:32, Wilson Abigaba (wilson at isoc.ug) wrote:

> It appears that the lists archives are only available to the
> respective list members. Shouldn't they be public?

I thought about that and decided it's not my call,
on some lists confidentiality might be desired,
so I made them initially private - opening them
is easy if we so decide.

On the e-team I don't see any good reason not
to make archives public, other than that we
may some day have security breach in our hands
that would need short-term secrecy (until fixed),
but those could be handled offlist.

> On another note, I was to join many of the lists even if I may not
> not actively participate in all of them. Would that be ok?

I should think that'd be up to each team - the first place
to ask would be their coordinators. Unless Bill wants to
make a policy decision here.

(Note, it would also be possible to allow subscriptions
without posting privileges. This might make sense in some
lists, where there's no need for secrecy but where too
many people participating would cause too much clutter.)