[NCUC E-team] Mailing lists

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Sun Jan 20 15:33:15 CET 2013

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 09:19:28AM -0500, Avri Doria (avri at ella.com) wrote:

> On 20 Jan 2013, at 04:46, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:

> I tend to think that on a list, most of the time people are replying
> to the list. I also beleive sending to the person as well as the
> list is broken, so always have to delete the person's name and hate
> that others never do, so those that filter messages have to go to
> the extra effort of filtering out duplicates.

There is no need to do that, Mailman is smart enough to drop
duplicates, as long as people use same address they've subscribed
with - unlike you did now (it was held for moderation, I added
it to allowed posters list).

(I did set duplicate filtering on by default on all lists.
It can be adjusted individually as well if somebody wants
the duplicates.)

> When a is used, it take most conversations of list, whcih defeats
> the purpose of the list.

How much that actually happens is debatable, but in big lists it's
usually just for the better, reducing clutter. And most people are
smart enough to reply to the list anyway if they want to.

> And I realize the contention between a & b, is what gives us c on
> most lists.

It's very rare for (c) to be enforced by the list software,
but if you mean it happens because people tend to use
Reply-to-All or the like, yes - but automated duplicate
filtering fixes that quite effectively, I think.

> > Which reminds me to ask: how many of you have gpg keys?

> I have at least one set, but never use them and am not sure which,
> if any, are in any key servers. also I find them a pain to use with
> most of the mail systems so never use them with email.

> i have not followed this technology for the last decade or so, what
> is the relationship between pgp and gpg? I think I am using pgp
> keys.

Same thing, gpg is just a (free) reimplementation of pgp.