[NCUC E-team] discuss list

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Tue Feb 19 13:08:22 CET 2013

On Feb 19 12:44, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2013, at 12:16 PM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at TAPANI.TARVAINEN.INFO> wrote:

> > Before it'll actually be useful though we'll need to subscribe
> > people. I believe the idea was to subscribe all members

> all NCUC members.

Yes.

> So need to read the member list against that of NCSG-discuss and
> drop out people who are NPOC only. Who I expect will be delighted,
> since they've complained strenuously in the past about receiving
> NCUC-related mail on the SG list. Sorry, I suppose that's a task.
> Maybe you could conspire with Ed to go through the names?

I believe Ed's already been building NCUC member list
based on stuff he got from Robin.

I don't have access to ncsg-discuss subscriber list though,
and I don't think Ed has it either.

Brenden,

Could you help here?

I'm not sure we'll need it (if Robin's info is complete
enough), but it wouldn't hurt in any case.

> > Another thing to do before announcing the list is to set up
> > archiving. I understood the plan is to copy old archives over and
> > keep on adding to them, in effect forking ncsg-discuss.

> Not being sysadmin literate I don't know what forking means.
> But certainly one would think the ideal outcome is that there's an
> integrated NCUC archive under our control and that a copy of at
> least that portion of the archive that is properly NCSG-discuss
> should remain intact where it is at Syracuse.

I don't have any plans or indeed means to remove anything
from the Syracuse server, so the part of archive up to
the split would be in both places. (Which is basically
what I meant by forking: two lists with common history
but different future. Like a fork in a road.)

> I can draft a brief welcome message and float it here in case ET
> folks think there's something I should have added.

It wouldn't hurt. Keep it really short though. As in 2-3 lines.
Longer explanations can be sent to the list itself.

> Shall we assume with lag time for doing all the above we're shooting
> for a launch like Friday? So we'd have three days to do your voodoo
> with the archives, the membership comparison and sign up, and welcome
> note..?

Sounds like a plan to me.

> > An announcement on ncsg-discuss is also in order;

> I've already mentioned that this would be happening and had back and
> forth with Alain about it, so I might as well do the follow up when
> the trigger's pulled.

Good.