[NCUC E-team] Archive

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Mon Feb 11 21:12:45 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 07:28:51PM +0000, Edward Morris (edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu) wrote:

> I question the need or propriety for archives of e-mails.
>
> People writing to one of our e-mail addresses may have an expectation of
> privacy. I certainly don't expect to see my e-mails archived on a list
> anywhere.
>
> Of course, we do want to maintain some continuity of contact.
>
> Could not a typical e-mail account, with inbox and outbox, accessible to
> those with account access serve the purpose?

I don't see how that would be different privacy-wise from a mailing
list archive.

Perhaps you misunderstood my intention: I of course meant a private
archive, open only to the people reading the address.
I.e., exactly same set of people would be able to read it as
in the case of a regular e-mail account, they just couldn't
delete anything.