[Comment-drafters] Let's pick a comment - and Diversity Comment input, if any

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 03:54:20 CET 2018

Hi,

if it is what happens after submission:
- first, we should check if staff included our comments in the staff report
which compile all the submissions made during that public comment period.
- it also depends if it is a public comment from a GNSO WG/PDP, a comment
from CCWG or one initiated by staff, dynamics on how to revolve comment can
be different for each.
usually, working groups will review the comments and see if they can
include them or not since some can be contradictory. so having several
comments weighing in in the same directions can have a bigger influence.
I don't know if there is any best practice or recipe to be more influential
with one comment but I think specific rewording or suggestion can be more
effective than just expressing an opinion. suggestions can be used directly
and can be more helpful for working group members to make the edits
another factor is the timing of public comment during the whole process of
policy making, a public comment about an interim report is different from a
final one in term of influence.
for example, for CCWG recommendations, the current public consultations are
the most important. there will be another public comment period later for
the final report but it will be too late to suggest substantive changes.
finally, for public comment initiated by staff only, it is a little bit
like a black box and I guess several comments supporting the same position
are likely to be effective as a strategy.

Best,

Rafik