[Bylaws] Approval of New Process For GNSO Charter Amendments

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Thu Oct 3 11:32:32 CEST 2013

On Oct 03 10:21, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:

> I hope the call tonight goes well and look forward to hearing what
> happened. In the meanwhile, attached please find new instructions
> from ICANN as to how bylaw revisions have to be processed. These
> have to be factored into timelines and content choices etc.

Yes. Quick look at the new process:

(1) Notify staff we're about to start "as early as practicable" = now.
(2) Formulating new bylaws.
(3) Formal community approval, i.e., vote.
(4) Notify staff of the result.
(5) Staff review and report to a Board committee (10 days).
(6) Public Comment Forum.
(7) Staff report of the Forum (30 days).
(8) Board committee review and recommendation to the Board.
(9) Board action, recognizing or rejecting the proposal.

If I understand this right, we should formulate the new bylaws
and vote on them before any interaction with staff is needed
(other than being notified we're about to do it).

--
Tapani Tarvainen