[NCUC-EC] [TIME SENSITIVE] Fwd: WS2 Mapping Inventory and Next Steps for the NCUC

Olga Kyryliuk olga_kyryliuk at ukr.net
Thu Sep 30 13:14:15 CEST 2021

Hi Raphael and All!

Please, find my reactions and comments in red accross each recommendation in the body of your initial email.

Best,
Olga

29 сентября 2021, 12:15:50, от "Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix" <rbeauregardlacroix at gmail.com>:

Dear all,
Please have a look at what's below and give me your thoughts/opinions/suggestions

We'd need to provide our reply by Sunday 3rd 2359 (got an extension) so I would kindly ask you to have a look at this and provide your suggestions/ideas in this thread by Friday 1 Oct 2359

thank you,

***

·         6.1.3: SO/AC/Groups should document their procedures for non-members to challenge decisions regarding their eligibility to become a member.
o    Could be implemented in coordination with NCSG. NCSG handles membership requests at the SG level and SG membership is required for C membership. Existing procedures concern only existing members (Operating Procedures, IX). Would require an Operating Procedures amendment.
Agree it has to be decided at the NCSG level and some uniform procedure to be put in place.

·         6.1.4: SO/AC/Groups should document unwritten procedures and customs that have been developed in the course of practice, and make them part of their procedural operation documents, charters, and/or bylaws
o    Could be implemented
Why not? If we have some specific practice developed over time, it totally makes sense to integrate it in a more formal way. However, I can't recall anything in specific that isn't covered by our bylaws at this point.

·         6.1.5: Each year, SO/AC/Groups should publish a brief report on what they have done during the prior year to improve accountability, transparency, and participation, describe where they might have fallen short, and any plans for future improvements
o    Could be implemented. Formalizing such reporting as part of the task of the executive committee would require a Bylaws amendment.
Not sure formalising this would be helpful. In practice, this is done every year during the meet the candidate call before elections.

·         6.2.4: Meetings and calls of SO/AC/Groups should normally be open to public observation. When a meeting is determined to be members-only, that should be explained publicly, giving specific reasons for holding a closed meeting…
o    Uncertain as to what kind of action is contemplated (“public explanation and reasons”)
Maybe it presumes explanation in the meeting announcement, wherever it is published - on website, mailing list, etc. It is fine to be implemented.

·         6.4.2: Each SO/AC/Group should maintain a publicly accessible website/wiki page to advertise their outreach events and opportunities.
o    Outreach is handled on a case-by-case basis and given the characteristics of our membership and executive committee we do not believe it is warranted for us to create a standing outreach committee. Outreach activities are already generally governed by Operating Procedures, VI.
I don't read it as presuming the creation of a separate committee, but rather as a call to publish info about outreach events on website and social media. It is already envisaged in our operating procedures. So I don't think it would require any extra steps from our side.

·         6.5.1: Each SO/AC/Group should review its policies and procedures at regular intervals and make changes to operational procedures and charter as indicated by the review.
o    Implemented (Bylaws, IV.G.2)
·         6.5.2: Members of SO/AC/Groups should be involved in reviews of policies and procedures and should approve any revisions.
o    Implemented (Operating Procedures, XV)
·         6.5.3: Internal reviews of SO/AC/Group policies and procedures should not be prolonged for more than one year, and temporary measures should be considered if the review extends longer.
o    Could be implemented, to the extent of the maximum period and temporary measures. Would require an Operating Procedures amendment.
Agree