[NCUC E-team] Boilerplate response & non-member mail list subscribers

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 13:35:39 CEST 2014

Hi

I seem to recall that we did a boilerplate statement last year, but I don’t recall if whomever was dealing with subscription requests has used it.  I would certainly think something like "Thanks for your interest in subscribing to the Noncommerical Users Constitutency (NCUC) discussion list. Our list is publicly archived at: http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-discuss/.  If you wish to join the list, we encourage you or your organization to become a member of NCUC. To do so, please follow the instructions here: http://www.ncuc.org/participate/become-a-member/“ would be fine.

I do have a question about a sentence of Brenden’s language, which I didn’t include above.  I don’t recall a previous agreement on the EC or the ET that "Individuals who are not members can be subscribed, but will not have posting privileges.”  Has this been the sysadmins' practice and I just don’t know about it?  If so I’d like to hear how it happened and the rationale.  And are we thus saying there are non-members now included on http://lists.ncuc.org/cgi-bin/mailman/roster/ncuc-discuss ?

It’s not entirely obvious to me why we’d bother doing this when the archive is anyway public.  Personally I’d prefer knowing that the above listing comprised only members, but I guess I’d don’t feel strongly about it if others do.  A couple of questions in this case:

*If that’s going to be the practice, on what grounds would we be turn away anyone going forward?   When Joly’s asked in the past about some subscription efforts we’ve often said oh no, s/he’s not a member, a troll, not civil society, whatever….

*May I assume people can be subscribed to the list without being added to the member data base?  I don’t really know how the linkages work but the intake practice has been that when a member is added they are signed up on the list and also go into the data base from which eligible voters and the member count on the website are generated.  Does adding non-members to the list introduce any possible problems for those of you who maintain our e-platforms, or no?

Thanks,

Bill