[Pt53] Progressing the NCUC Outreach Event in BA

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu May 21 13:43:55 CEST 2015

Hello

So on the 13th I wrote to Rodrigo de la Parra, Cc Analia and Stefi, asking for help with contacts in the LAC region. It seems he doesn’t have a data base of LAC civil society contacts and mostly just defaults to contacting people involved in LACRALO  https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2266164 <https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2266164> and Valeria and Carlos.  He also suggested that useful mail lists include

> -RedLatam: redlatam at lists.accessnow.org <mailto:redlatam at lists.accessnow.org>
>
> -Caucus de Gobernanza de Internet de LAC: alc-cmsi at gn.apc.org <mailto:alc-cmsi at gn.apc.org>
>
> -LACNIC & Sociedad Civil: civilsoc at lacnic.net <mailto:civilsoc at lacnic.net>
>
> -Lista de participantes al LACIGF (están todos los stakeholders, no sólo miembros de la sociedad civil: lacigf at lacnic.net <mailto:lacigf at lacnic.net>

So as far as I know, this is where we stand, and have not moved further forward.  The event is just one month away now, so I think we need to get going.  ICANN staff presumably will soon post the meeting schedule, and we will need to supply a text describing the session.  Which means we should settle on the substantive agenda.  And more importantly, we need to start moving on assembling the list of invitees, and to keep track of who’s inviting them and what the status is etc.

Re: Agenda,

> On May 6, 2015, at 9:16 AM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:
>
> for reference, here is what we did in DC, which worked very well, but of course we could spin differently here if we want:
>
> 1.     Participant Introductions
> 2.     Brief introduction of NCUC @ ICANN
> 3.     2-3 minute introductions of issues NCUC works on in ICANN, e.g.
>
> • IANA and the transitioning of US  (Matt Shears)
> • Accountability mechanisms in the context of globalization (Matt Shears)
> • Human rights generally (Bill Drake)
> • Privacy and registry services (Stephanie Perrin)
> • Access to knowledge and intellectual property (Kathy Kleiman)
> • Freedom of expression (David Cake)
> • Development (Rafik Dammak)
> • ICANN in broader Internet governance, e.g. NETmundial Initiative, IGF (Bill Drake)

Comments:

*I’d suggest the same basic concept, we quickly tee up what we do in ICANN, we ask attendees to highlight their activities and interests, and then we go to open discussion of how to link the two, to the extent this is desired.

*I’d add a 2 minute ICANN welcome from JJ Sahel before the intro of NCUC.  He got us the funding and is a friendly.

*Are there other more locally relevant topics people think should be added, like geo-names?  Also Carlos suggests legal jurisdiction.  Are there topics you’d suggest taking off the list?  These are the things we do though...

*Re: people to offer boot-up remarks, please note that this session will happen at the same time as the GNSO Council meeting, alas.  So Stephanie and David will not be available, we’d need others to cover privacy and FoE.  Many choices there…also we’ll have our human rights go-to folks there, Niels and Monika, so they could cover that instead of me.

Re: Invitees

Again the list is at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gRnbG-zlSzke5D2bQO30yXAu2kXxfuLNXIRL1jwj9v0/edit?pli=1 <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gRnbG-zlSzke5D2bQO30yXAu2kXxfuLNXIRL1jwj9v0/edit?pli=1>

It has not been added to in some time.  Contacting some of the LACRALO people and others, in Spanish and Portuguese, would seem the logical next steps….

Any and all help appreciated in getting this going.

Thanks

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer