[Ncuc-lac] Intersessional, ICANN58 and other opportunities to participate

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 14:15:21 CET 2017

Dear NCUC LAC members

This is our periodical report on work NCUC is engaged in.
You are invited to follow the activities and count on your NCUC LAC
representative to follow up on your questions and concerns.

* Intersessional
This week in Reykjavik the GNSO has the Intersessional event.
Both NCSG and NCUC are presenting sessions on several themes which are
important to the NCPH - Non-Contracted Party House, where we belong in
ICANN.
This is also an opportunity to interact with our counterpart on NCPH,
CSG - Commercial Stakeholder Group and its constituencies.
You can find the details for remote participation here
http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1702&L=ncsg-discuss&F=&S=&X=C2A8AA5789AB0EC92B&Y=raquino%40gmail.com&P=64576

* ICANN58
The schedule will be publicized on 20feb.
You can participate online on NCUC sessions and learn about the work
and opportunities for the following ICANN meetings.
A draft schedule was shared by our chair here
http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-discuss/2017-February/020225.html

* NCUC Taskforce on Procedures
The taskforce on procedures of NCUC has had its first meeting and is
concentrating now on drafting efforts
If you'd like to join the taskforce, please contact its leader Anna
Loup aloup at usc.edu

* Travel ban and Puerto Rico meeting
The travel ban approved by pres. Trump in the US (now suspended by
court orders) has disrupted the participation of community members in
several meetings.
ICANN issued a note on that matter and is monitoring the issue.
During an intersessional call, the chair also brought up a talking
point with the CEO to ensure that diversity continues to be a reality
in the community, including the participation of Latin America and the
Caribbean.
You can see the ICANN note here
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/travel-to-and-from-the-united-states
You can also see the chair's summary of meeting with CEO here
http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-discuss/2017-February/020239.html
The Puerto Rico meeting, 18 months away is the only to be conducted
within US borders.
Puerto Rico is also, mainly culturally, considered LAC so any move
would have to be accompanied closely by our community.
Up to now, there is no proposal to move this meeting.

* Outreach
February outreach responses will go out by the end of the month
If you have any suggestion send it via our form
http://bit.ly/ncucout

Best,

Renata