[NCUC-EC] Fwd: Application [Travel Opportunity for ICANN77 ]

Benjamin Akinmoyeje benakin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:52:05 CET 2023

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: SOUAD ABIDI <fs_abidi at esi.dz>
Date: Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 3:49 PM
Subject: Application [Travel Opportunity for ICANN77 ]
To: andrea.glandon at icann.org <andrea.glandon at icann.org>
Cc: benakin at gmail.com <benakin at gmail.com>

Dear Andrea and Benakin,

Expressing my interest to apply for the slot.

-     Name

Souad Abidi (female)

fs_abidi at esi.dz

> -     Short statement explaining why you would like to attend ICANN77
> representing the NCUC. Include a mention of which working groups or policy
> discussions you have been involved with and would like to be involved
> further. If you have not been involved in policy discussions, which policy
> discussion(s) will you become involved with? (please provide links to your
> mailing list contributions and your record of attendance in WG meetings).

My journey with ICANN has started since ICANN65 in Marrakech where I was
an NextGen in-person participant.

I come from the academia sector, my goal by attending ICANN77 is to provide
a voice and a representation to non-profit organizations that serve
non-commercial interests; nonprofit services such as education. I am
passionate about developing global frameworks on many emerging technology
issues and building an equitable digital society.
As a data scientist  I am interested in the International Working Group on
Data Protection in Telecommunications. I am leading a research on how to
implement the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in Algeria mainly
for the academia sector.
ICANN77 will be a great opportunity for me to connect with people in the
field  in order to spread awareness and learn about solutions to emerging
digital policy, connecting with diverse stakeholders in the NCUC group.

I had the chance to represent the academia sector in-person during:
 Global IGF2019-Berlin,  Global IGF2022 Addis-Ababa,  African IGF
2022-Malawi..

> -     How much time, effort and work will you spend studying policy topics
> before, during and after the meeting? And are you willing to stay engaged
> or
> volunteer to mentor future NCSG members?

I am to dedicate  6h/week on ICANN before and after the meeting. During the
meeting I will be fully engaged. That's why I attend in-person. After the
meeting I plan to contribute to policy discussions on the mailing lists (
given that I have taken enough knowledge of the hot topics during the
meeting).

And yes, happy to move into mentorship once I am qualified enough.

> -     Confirm that you are ready and attentive to all visa requirements and
> other documentation to attend, should you be accepted.

Yes, with a valid passport until  december 2028

Please feel free to request any additional information.

Best regards

Souad Abidi