[NCUC-EC] PIR NCSG Proposal

Ken Herman ken at kherman.com
Tue Apr 11 21:33:06 CEST 2023

Hello Benjamin.

I did see the proposal and, to be honest, I have very clarity on expectations or deliverables or next steps. The proposal is really very sparse on details. Nevertheless, I feel confident that together we can create a useful programme.

To start, I see that the proposal contains two initiatives: the ‘buddy programme” and the “Workshop”. Of the two, the workshop seems more geared to the ICANN77 meeting, whereas the “Buddy Programme” appears more as a long-term activity. Therefore, since the focus at the moment is an activity for Washington, DC, I will work on the workshop and leave the buddy programme to you.

Regarding the workshop, perhaps you will be kind enough to share more details regarding the conversation with PIR.

1.	Are they committed to the workshop or are they expecting a more detailed proposal prior to commitment?
2.	If they require a proposal, what is the deadline for that?
3.	What financial expectations did you convey to them and what were they prepared to offer?
4.	What are the expectations for ICANN org regarding supporting this activity, or is this entirely separate from them? This is important for a number of reasons, mostly having to do with availability of individuals (like board members and such) as well as things like hotel reservations. In fact, the entire logistics component of this is very unclear).
5.	Since it includes one hotel night, what was the rationale regarding travel?
6.	The proposal only mentions NCSG, so what is their expected participation in the planning and running of the event?

Finally, please share with me the contact information for the individual at PIR that is coordinating this at their end.

I may have other questions which I will raise as they occur to me.

For all the EC members, I will shortly call an informal meeting so we can brainstorm on how we see this initiative evolving – what material should it include, who should be invited, etc. I look forward to everyone’s participation.

Thanks

Ken