[NCUC-EC] CEO Call Topics

Ken Herman ken at kherman.com
Fri May 6 15:23:59 CEST 2022

Hi Andrea.

Unfortunately, I don’t think I can make that call, but I will try.

I have one point that I alluded to in my remarks during the candidates call, although I do not know if this is a substantial issue.

I have the perception of an imbalance amongst the ability of the different stakeholder groups to participate in the multistakeholder environment. It comes down to resources; the commercial stakeholder groups have them, and entities within those groups employ individuals whose job it is to engage, while the participants from the noncommercial constituencies frequently have other jobs and simply cannot devote a similar amount of time to the topics. This is revealed most explicitly when the time comes to summarize discussions and draft responses. It seems to generally come to the same few people and, frankly, the learning curve for new participants is so high that it can be off-putting.

I would ask the CEO his perception and what ideas he has to address it. Does the Org provide support in some way?

I would however like to hear from my EC colleagues if this is even an issue.

Thanks

Ken