[NCUC-EC] FY22 ABR - change of mind on consultation process?

Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix rbeauregardlacroix at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 02:27:14 CET 2021

Hi all,

I am having second thoughts about the Google form regarding the FY22 ABR.
Here is what I ran into when trying to draft it:

   - It makes little sense to ask members what they would like to see
   improved with our website or social media presence, outside of more content
   and more frequent updates. Content is our job. We can certainly improve the
   interface by working with web developers, and that can probably fit in an
   ABR, but its not a consultation through a Google Form that is going to give
   us the kind of input we would need at this point.
   - Generally, people will not be encouraged to develop ideas on the form,
   while they may be if they write it in an email thread. Specifically, people
   may build upon what others say more easily. I think the form would make
   this process more stunted. In the end, what we want from the membership is
   ideas that will form into a concrete proposal and that will fit in the
   request form. It's easier to structure a discussion in an email thread.
   - Finally, we can reasonably expect a low participation on that matter
   overall. Hence, opening an email thread should not turn into something
   unmanageable, anyway.

I recognize this is a departure from what we have agreed earlier today, but
as I tried doing it, it appeared to me it might not have been the best idea
in the end.

I think I would rather start a thread on the list, laying out the rules and
saying that we believe our web presence and promo materials could benefit
from an ABR, without closing the door to any other proposal from the
membership, as long as whoever proposes is willing to carry some weight in
fleshing out their idea.

Let me know what you think, if possible by tomorrow night UTC, so that we
can move forward with that.

Thank you and have a nice day,