[NCUC-EC] NCUC webinar on civil society participation at ICANN

Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix rbeauregardlacroix at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 13:37:46 CET 2021

Dear Maureen,

Thank you for your email from last week on the historical materials. I am
sharing with you below the draft reader on the history of CS at ICANN that
is meant to be implemented as a formal ICANN Learn course. It contains for
now only the part on NCUC, but in its final form it will have a part about
NPOC and ALAC as well.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dpTRUNW3Yj9uPZamN5d59tD_S4hUb5hmMLX52iquY1o/edit?usp=sharing

Please let me know what materials are usable from what you sent me last
week, and under what "conditions" - we could probably arrange for minor
fact check past the deadline.

You will also find below our plan for the NCUC-led webinar set to take
place in May about civil society participation at ICANN. The ICANN Learn
course on the history of CS is identified as "Session 0" as it will be
meant as a preparation to the webinar.

As you can read, we'd be happy to have you or someone else from ALAC on
board for a 20-minute civil society roundtable, along with the NCSG, NPOC
and NCUC chairs.

Moreover, we'd also be happy to gather your feedback on the plan for that
webinar generally.

Finally, I will be in touch once we have an official invitation to
communicate to ALAC members.

Thank you for your collaboration so far!

Have a nice weekend,

***

Session 0 (ICANN Learn Course)

   -

   History of civil society at ICANN

Session 1: Civil Society Participation at ICANN

   -

   Reading materials:
   -

      ICANN Org materials about pdp participation
      -

   Opening remarks (2 min)
   -

   Keynote: how to develop a policy position for civil society at ICANN (7
   min)
   -

   Q&A: History of CS at ICANN (20 min)
   -

      Milton Mueller/Anriette Esterhuysen/Adam Peake/Kathy Kleiman
      -

         One question each
         -

         Milton: How was the environment for civil society at ICANN when
         NCUC was established?
         -

         Anriette: How have the difficulties related to civil society
         participation at ICANN changed over time?
         -

         Kathy: What were the aims, purposes or goals of a dedicated space
         for civil society at ICANN?
         -

         Adam: How did the development of civil society participation at
         ICANN paralleled that of civil society in global and regional internet
         governance processes?
         -

   Civil society roundtable (20 min)
   -

      Short interventions by each of the chairs, showcasing in which ways
      each of the communities participate in ICANN processes now from the
      perspective of civil society and how to advocate for CS
positions at ICANN.
      -

         Maureen Hilyard, Bruna Santos, Raphaël Beauregard-Lacroix, Raoul
         Plommer
         -

   Q&A (15 min)
   -

   Closing: summary of the main points (5 min)