[NCUC-EC] Fwd: NomCom Applications

hfaiedh ines hfaiedh.ines2 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 17:50:47 CEST 2018

My vote also goes for Anriette for the same reasons.

Best wishes

Le samedi 28 juillet 2018, Michael Karanicolas <mkaranicolas at gmail.com> a
écrit :
> Hi,
> My vote is for Anriette, who has served well on the NomCom thus far.
Indeed, Kris even says he is only applying if Anriette does not want to
stay on, making this a fairly simple question.
> Best,
> Michael
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 4:46 PM, Renata Aquino Ribeiro <raquino at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Dear EC
>> Please find below the Nomcom applicants and vote as soon as you can.
>>
>> Thanks

ICANN NomCom as an NCUC appointee. Let me know if I should also send this
to the NCUC list.

>> Best
>>
>> Anriette
>>
>> Statement of Interest in being appointed for a second term to ICANNs
Nominations Committee by the NCUC

>> Firstly, thank you very much to NCUC for appointing me to the 2018
NomCom. I am aware that it is an honour to be chosen and appreciate being
trusted with the responsibility. I have been a member of NCUC for a very
long time, but my participation has not been as active as I would like it
to have been due to my previous position as executive director of the
Association for Progressive Communications. I just had too much else to do
to be more than a follower and occasional contributor.  Nevertheless, I did
attend several ICANN meetings, and participated in collaborative
activities, particularly NCUC outreach events in Durban, London and
Johannesburg and ensured that APC contributed to some key decisions and
processes.

>> I stepped down from my position as APC ED in mid-2017 which created more
opportunity for me to participate in ICANN and was appointed by NCUC to
serve on NomCom not long after. In spite of not being at the first meeting
in Dubai I have been a very active member of NomCom and feel that my
contribution has made a positive difference.

>> NomCom's role in ICANN is very important. NomCom has to identify people
for leadership that do not come through the constituency (or SO/AC) track.
This means we have to find people with excellent experience and
qualifications who can contribute to ICANN as a nonprofit, public interest
organisation that is community driven AND accountable more broadly for the
decisions it makes. NomCom candidates need to be 'non aligned' and bring
diversity of experience and perspectives, but also have the qualifications
and experience needed to operate in quite a tough environment.

>> Why another term?
>>
>> My past experience and skillsets are particularly suited to the NomCom
role. I have served on many boards in the past (see my CV which is
attached) and have done a lot of recruitment. I am used to working in a
multistakeholder environment, and having to stand up for public interest
concerns and voice civil society perspectives in contexts where this is not
easy.  While I cannot represent NCUC in a direct manner as a NomCom member,
I believe I have been able to make sure that NCUC and NCSG priorities (as
communicated to NomCom by NCSG leadership) are considered seriously by
NomCom. NomCom is hard work, but it is work that I feel I can do
efficiently and effectively.

>> Secondly, NomCom is a team of people that work together under a lot of
pressure and in quite a closed manner as much of what we discuss is
confidential. Learning to work together with efficiency, and trust and
respect takes time. Most members serve more than one term. This provides
some continuity which is very important. I feel that I learned a lot, about
NomCom, about the other SOs and ACs, about leadership in ICANN and that it
would be good to be able to apply this learning during a second term. I
also feel that my experience in working in teams, being part of boards, and
being part of collective decision-making processes (e.g. the IGF MAG) has
helped me to contribute to creating a productive working environment in
NomCom.

>> Thirdly, I feel my work is not "finished".  I have  a specific goal to
focus on getting strong candidates from Africa and the MENA regions into
the selection process. It is not that I did not try this last year, or even
in the past  through other NomComs, but I feel I now have a better
understanding of how to address the challenge of getting strong candidates
from these regions into ICANN leadership positions. It is not that these
regions are the only underrepresented regions.. there are others, but
currently they are MORE under represented than most other regions. The
challenge is not so much to have large numbers of candidates from these
regions, but to get people that really meet the qualifications and that are
so strong that they can come through the initial selection phases of
NomCom. This means that the outreach has to be very focused, identifying
people that have the specific skills needed for specific leadership
positions.. not just people who are in general interested in taking a
leadership role in ICANN. I feel more able to do this well in a second
round on NomCom than I did during my first term.

>> Finally, while the results are not yet public, I feel that  I managed to
do well during my first term on NomCom. In spite of many challenges
(including from within NomCom itself) we as a NomCom selected candidates
that will strengthen gender diversity and other forms of diversity in ICANN
leadership. I do not take credit for this - it was a collective
achievement, and only time will tell how the community feels about it. But
I really believe that as a NomCom we selected the strongest possible
candidates in the final phases of the selection process. I also feel that
some good candidates were excluded during the early phases and I will try
my best, during a second term, to try to limit the extent to which this
happens again. I look forward to feedback.

elections committee of ISOC a few years and have a continued interest in
serving in any capacity possible.
>> My interest remains in the main interest of NCUC as much as NCSG as a
whole as well. I have properly read the assignment and the core of the work
to be done. I am however, open to serving and dedicate the time and
attention to complete the required work.
>> However, i am showing my interest but i am not a competitor to Anriette.
If she is on for a 2nd year i will rather be backing out in a fair view.
>> Kris
>>
>> On Jul 16, 2018, at 19:37, Renata Aquino Ribeiro <raquino at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Dear NCUC,
>>
>> Our NomCom representative, Anriette von Esterhuysen has served on
>> 2017/2018 NomCom.
>>
>> July is time for her reappointment for 2nd year term or if any other
>> candidates wishes to apply, to show their interest.
>>
>> This is a call for application for NCUC members to apply for this
>> position for the 2018-2019 Term starting after July 2018 as stated in
>> the previous call:
>>

>> The NomCom position is very important, as NomCom "is an independent
committee
>> tasked with selecting eight members of the Board of Directors and other
key
>> positions within ICANN's structure as are set forth in the Bylaws."
>>
>> There are specific criteria for NomCom delegates as stipulated  in ICANN
>>
>> Bylaws and other sources :
>> “Section 8.4. CRITERIA FOR SELECTION OF NOMINATING COMMITTEE DELEGATES
>> Delegates to the ICANN Nominating Committee shall be:
>> 1. Accomplished persons of integrity, objectivity, and intelligence, with
>> reputations for sound judgment and open minds, and with experience and
>> competence with collegial large group decision-making;
>> 2. Persons with wide contacts, broad experience in the Internet
community,
>> and a commitment to the success of ICANN;
>> 3. Persons whom the selecting body is confident will consult widely and
>> accept input in carrying out their responsibilities;
>> 4. Persons who are neutral and objective, without any fixed personal
>> commitments to particular individuals, organizations, or commercial
>> objectives in carrying out their Nominating Committee responsibilities;
>> 5. Persons with an understanding of ICANN's mission and the potential
>> impact of ICANN's activities on the broader Internet community who are
>> willing to serve as volunteers, without compensation other than the
>> reimbursement of certain expenses; and
>> 6. Persons who are able to work and communicate in written and spoken
>> English.”
>> Eligibility Exception - No person who is an employee of or
>> paid consultant to ICANN (including the Ombudsman) shall simultaneously
>> serve in any of the Nominating Committee positions as described in
Article
>> 8, Section 8.2 of ICANN’s Bylaws (https://www.icann.org/ [icann.org]
>> resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en/#article8).
>> Other criteria (retrieved from the Nominating Committee email):
>>
>> - The person should be able to join monthly teleconferences (typically
>> 15:00 or 16:00 UTC).  Note that the committee's workload will increase
>> significantly during Apr/May/June 2017 when the candidate assessment
>> process will be at its busiest. Conference calls are held more frequently
>> (typically weekly and the duration of the calls may last up to 3 hours)
>> during this time as well.
>>
>> - The person must be able to attend the NomCom selection meeting in late
>> June 2018 during ICANN62 in Panama City, Panama.
>>
>> - The person should be willing to work in a large, consensus-oriented
>> committee.
>>

>> As you gather from the criteria above, it is very important that the
>> applicants for this position be active members of NCUC, involved with
ICANN
>> and its various working groups and show proven interest in NCUC work and
>> understand the dynamics of ICANN and groups existing within ICANN.
>>
>> Please write a statement of interest indicating how you fulfill the
>> criteria mentioned in ICANN bylaws and tell us about your experience at
>> NCUC and submit to me chair at ncuc.org and cc  maryam.bakoshi at icann.org
>> by 27 July 2018.
>>
>> Announcement will be before 17 August 2018
>>

>> Best
>>
>> Renata
lists.ncuc.org]

>> Kris Seeburn
>> seeburn.k at gmail.com
>> LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/kseeburn/ [linkedin.com]
>>
>> "Life is a Beach, it all depends at how you look at it"

</mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=164e0e61edd5b770&attid=0.0.1&disp=emb&realattid=502dd971ee63170c_0.2.0.1&zw&atsh=1>